NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Easiest, hardest, cheapest, most expensive

markclaire50

Easiest: any open star cluster. Used to do a load of these on an AZ mount (so exposure-length limited) with a standard DSLR plugged into the eyepiece holder of an achro frac.

Hardest: I guess this would have to be the jellyfish nebula so far because there was virtually nothing showing on any of my subs, but it grew nicely as more subs came in. However, I am on a bit of a learning curve, so more difficult objects may enter my repetoire at any time.

Cheapest: One of my first astro pics. Just set the DSLR up on a static tripod with a standard lens and took a series of images of Venus and Mercury together just after sunset ... so I suppose this could also qualify as "easiest".

Most expensive: An image of M42 using Star71 (1200) mounted on NEQ6 (995) using ZWO mono camera (950) and NeIII filter (475+)

Easiest: The Moon. Any camera that is better than ones in phones (that can manually set exposure + focus and have lenses bigger than a pea)
Hardest: A black hole - though that isn't very helpful :) For an amateur I'd reckon a low surface brightness nebula. Maybe the Cat's Eye, since there is a lot of contrast between the bright core and the dim surround. Like M42, it is very, very, difficult to get a decent image that shows both the bright centre and the gaseous surrounds.

Cheapest: see easiest.
Most expensive: Hubble deep field? For amateurs, there is no upper limit, apart from how much you're willing to spend. Though with the advent of robotic rigs that you can hire by the hour, it's cheaper to image a _single_ target with one of those than to buy a telescope specifically for it.

Easiest and cheapest would be the Moon. I have an old 400mm M42 lens I got from a charity shop for £10 which takes perfectly good pictures.

spacer.png

Probably the hardest target I went after is the 'other Cygnus Loop', an old supernova remnant catalogued as Sh2-92, Sh2-94, Sh2-96 and possibly some others. I got something after a ridiculous stretch but it didn't make for much of an image. Its was taken with Samyang 135mm f2 lens, 1600MM cool camera and Ha filter.

spacer.png

One of the most challenging targets for amateurs are exoplanets, using the transit method of detection. A few hot Jupiters are within reach of small scopes but most require a great deal of aperture, so this might also qualify in the most expensive category.

33 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Easiest and cheapest would be the Moon. I have an old 400mm M42 lens I got from a charity shop for £10 which takes perfectly good pictures.

spacer.png

Probably the hardest target I went after is the 'other Cygnus Loop', an old supernova remnant catalogued as Sh2-92, Sh2-94, Sh2-96 and possibly some others. I got something after a ridiculous stretch but it didn't make for much of an image. Its was taken with Samyang 135mm f2 lens, 1600MM cool camera and Ha filter.

spacer.png

One of the most challenging targets for amateurs are exoplanets, using the transit method of detection. A few hot Jupiters are within reach of small scopes but most require a great deal of aperture, so this might also qualify in the most expensive category.

Hi Knight. Thanks. I'm curious, how do you connect the 1600mm cool camera to a camera lens? Adapter? If so, I didn't realise you could do that. 

4 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

Hi Knight. Thanks. I'm curious, how do you connect the 1600mm cool camera to a camera lens? Adapter? If so, I didn't realise you could do that. 

ZWO sell a canon EF lens adaptor for about £35, here it is on FLO. I think there may also be one for Nikon lenses, and possibly another for mirrorless-fit lenses.

3 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

ZWO sell a canon EF lens adaptor for about £35, here it is on FLO. I think there may also be one for Nikon lenses, and possibly another for mirrorless-fit lenses.

Thanks. I will probably get one that's a bit cheaper. It's got me thinking though as I have several camera lenses as well as my ed80 

Easiest

Widefield shot at dusk that includes the moon.

Any camera will do.  Auto settings, nothing special needed.

hardest

High detailed mosaic of a large deep sky object.   For example Andromeda Galaxy taken through a 2000mm focal length scope.   The detail could be spectacular, however the number of shots, exposure time needed, processing required will make this a challange.

cheapest

Any photo taken using someone else's gear.

you don't pay a thing, can get tuition on how to take the photo and will come away with something reasonable.

most expensive

High detail imaging of the sun.   Solar scopes can get very expensive very quickly.   Then you'd need a good camera to go with it as well as the tracking problems etc.

Archived