Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher EQ-5 vs Sky-Watcher EQ-5 PRO SynScan

I'm looking into buying EQ-5 Mount and have a couple question regarding this that someone hopefully can answer.

1. If i buy the basic EQ-5 Mount, and the dual axis motor for EQ-5 seperately, does it perform exactly like the EQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo mount?

2. Is there possible to add a SynScan goto  to the EQ-5 Mount and With the motor is it then exactly the same performance and possibilities as the EQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo mount?

3. I've seen a "NEQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo "Upgrade kit" (see link). Whats the difference between a NEQ-5 and a EQ-5 mount? Is this Product compatible With the EQ-5 and will it then perform as the EQ-5 Pro Synscan GoTo?

https://www.astroshop.eu/goto-kits/skywatcher-neq-5-pro-synscan-goto-upgrade-kit/p,11662#tab_bar_2_select

-Bjørn

hi I have the eq 5 mount and bought the basic ra and dec motors (6v) they work beautifully although you have to know the sky pretty well to find things decide to upgrade to synscan was a little difficult to fit and after a few issues with voltage adapters got it working motor issues seem to be a problem with mine as the dec motors screams for oa second or two before settling down  I was excited about having it onboard but im not overly impressed with it

Answer for 1: No. Thats not the goto kit so it will not slew to target nor you can use autoguiding.

Answer 2: if you add the synscan motors with hand controller than it is the same. So just buy the one with synscan already.

Answer 3: they are exactly the same. The EQ5 is called in Europe, NEQ5 in UK and USA.

1 minute ago, masjstovel said:
  1. @barnard531 Thanks for Your reply. I see in the link i provided that the GoTo-comes With motors. Is that the exact Product you went for or did you buy motors first, then the goto? if its the latter, do you think the Product in the link would work more seamlesly?

The link you provided is only the 2 motors and the hand controller. The mount comes in around 400-500 too.

13 hours ago, masjstovel said:

I'm looking into buying EQ-5 Mount and have a couple question regarding this that someone hopefully can answer.

1. If i buy the basic EQ-5 Mount, and the dual axis motor for EQ-5 seperately, does it perform exactly like the EQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo mount?

2. Is there possible to add a SynScan goto  to the EQ-5 Mount and With the motor is it then exactly the same performance and possibilities as the EQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo mount?

3. I've seen a "NEQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo "Upgrade kit" (see link). Whats the difference between a NEQ-5 and a EQ-5 mount? Is this Product compatible With the EQ-5 and will it then perform as the EQ-5 Pro Synscan GoTo?

https://www.astroshop.eu/goto-kits/skywatcher-neq-5-pro-synscan-goto-upgrade-kit/p,11662#tab_bar_2_select

-Bjørn

I've had both systems.

A big difference between them is the "fast" slewing speed between objects.

The basic "upgrade" motor kit with the 6 volt motors has a painfully slow max slewing speed, taking several minutes to move across the sky, whereas the "goto" upgrade has a much higher slew speeds, taking just seconds.

Therefore when you need to slew the basic system you loosen the clutches and move it by hand, then re-tighten.

It does have selectable RA tracking though, so as long as you have no ambitions for upgrading to goto later (using add ons like "EQMOD"), then it's fine.  The remote hand controller makes fine adjustments much easier than groping over the telescope in the dark for the knobs.

2 hours ago, masjstovel said:

@Astro-Geek thanks for your reply, thats good to know. So if i understand you correctly, i should go for the goto (with motor) that performs better than just the motor upgrade?

If you want GoTo, buy the complete EQ5 Pro Synscan.

If you want a motorized mount (non-GoTO) buy the version with 2 motors.  It will track, but to move it across the sky you have to slacken the clutches. There is also a version with RA motor only, which I have, but it would be useful to have both slow motions on the handset.

It is actually a lot quicker to slack the clutches and push the mount than to use the maximum speed on a GoTo mount, but if you slacken the clutches you will lose the GoTo set-up, so you have to wait for it to grind across the sky under power for a major move.

I hope this clarifies things.

20 hours ago, masjstovel said:

@Cosmic GeoffI want the eq-5 pro synscan goto, but i want to spread the cost a little since its my first telescope and all. But eq-5 with goto upgrade added = EQ-5 Pro synscan goto performancewise, right?

I'm 99.9% sure that is correct.

The Synscan upgrade kit appears to have exactly the same components as the EQ5 Synscan goto.

The crucial parts, (the motors, control box, and controller are identical).

synscan upgrade kit.jpg

1 hour ago, Astro-Geek said:

I'm 99.9% sure that is correct.

The Synscan upgrade kit appears to have exactly the same components as the EQ5 Synscan goto.

The crucial parts, (the motors, control box, and controller are identical).

synscan upgrade kit.jpg

Thanx alot! 

To mount a Nikon D810 camera to it, all i need is M48 Nikon camera adapter and Tele-camera adaptor 1,25' ( https://www.365astronomy.com/tele-camera-adaptor-1.25-31.7mm-for-eyepiece-projection-by-ovl.html ) ?

Archived