Meade DSI Camera - 2004/5 vintage

I have just been given (lucky me!) a Meade DSI camera pack with all the associated cables, etc. and a copy of "Auto Star Suite" software. I don't believe it has ever been used but, from what I can see, it is 2004/5 vintage and I'm not sure whether that will work with my Celestron STL 127 Mak Cas setup. The 'scope is mounted on the Celestron Nexstar AltAz mount and I have the latest hand control and firmware. Can anyone tell me if I need to obtain or "do" anything for the camera to work? My laptop is running windows 8 and has the appropriate ports for the connections. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

You might need to run it in compatibility mode, specifying WinXP as the OS. I did this with some other old software and selected "Vista" - the software worked fine. I just need to know if I'll be able to use my "new" camera with my Celestron 'scope.

Mike

No reason it wouldn't work with your scope, don't know how big it's pixels are but probably quite big being old so should suit your scopes focal length.

I take it you're not planning on using the Autostar Suite to run your mount :grin:

Dave

Thinking about the software I seem to recall Meade released their Envisage software which I think allowed the earlier cameras to run on Win10, could be wrong as my memory isn't what it used to be :grin:

Dave

I've downloaded the latest Meade Envisage package - thanks for the link - and now have to see if everything works. Before I get to that, however, I have to star align my new 127 Mak; the camera arrived a touch early in my new stargazing career!

I have the  dsi 2 mono and it works okay with win 8.1 but the meade software is a bit clunky as always, so I use it under  DSI spec and ascom in stark labs nebulosity3. I can't get it to connect under version4,  I just use it for a guider but it does produce some ok images. ton

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:57, ebdons said:

I have the  dsi 2 mono and it works okay with win 8.1 but the meade software is a bit clunky as always, so I use it under  DSI spec and ascom in stark labs nebulosity3. I can't get it to connect under version4,  I just use it for a guider but it does produce some ok images. ton

That sounds encouraging - if all else fails, your method might be workable for me too. Once I've come back to the subject having got my new scope properly aligned, I shall probably start playing around with the camera - it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

• 7 months later...
On 20/03/2019 at 16:12, happy-kat said:

Doing a google looks like Nebulousity by Craig Stark works with the camera.

I've just returned to this thread - sorry if I appeared to have ignored your response. I've been in touch with Meade and they say that my DSI will not work with Windows editions later than XP. Luckily I have an old but functional laptop with XP on board, so I'm going to download the necessary software and see what I can achieve. Nebulosity seems to be another option and I appreciate your heads-up and the link.