Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar photography with a holiday camera

Marvin Jenkins

Any thoughts on this picture? (I know it is still in it's mirror image) Taken using a Sony Coolpix point and shoot on an adjustable bracket that clamps to the eye piece. Post processing if you can call it that is one half second frame, not stacked. Cropped a bit on the standard windows picture programme, light and contrast tweaked a little. No option to 'flip the image'.

Scope used, Orion 130st newt on eq 2 mount . Before I became a member I saw some great shots from people using mobile phones. I did try one of Jupiter but it went strait in the bin.

DSC00023 (3).JPG

That is good for an EP projected image, pretty sharp all over. What was the EP?

I tend to under expose so I can capture detail on the brighter limb. If you are using an image processor it is harder to recover from over exposure than under exposure.

I took the picture (quite a few actually as the focuser on my scope is very simple) 19th September 2018 at 19.59. Sony Cybershot, 1/40th second f/3.3 4.5mm. ISO 200. The eye piece is an Orion Sirius plossl 17mm. I didn't select the settings, just turned off the flash and let the camera go auto.

Just one frame and played around a bit with contrast etc on the standard windows picture programme and cropped a bit to fill the frame. My apologies to all, I should have posted this all in Lunar photography but didn't see that heading until after hitting send, won't happen again.

Archived