M81 and M82

michaelmorris

Here is the first image taken with my ZWO ASi 294 MC-Pro that I've actually got around to processing.  For some reason that I cannot yet fathom, I seem to be having a problem with flats - hence the dark blob on the lower left side of the image.

m81m82.jpg

17 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

how much imagining time? how are you getting on with the 294? considering a cooled camera and can't decide on OSC or mono at the moment

Sorry, missed this info off.

30 x 240 secs.  Best 90% stacked in DSS, then processed in Photoshop.

I think I'm now starting to get to grips with the 294.   I requires a slightly different way of working than with my mono Atik 460EX, but I'm pleased with the performance.  The differences you will notice if you use a cooled 294 when compared to your DSLR will be

• The smaller field of view
  • You'll need to take more, shorter subs
  • It's essential to take darks
  • Once calibrated and stacked, how much further you can stretch the data 

I have both mono (Atik 460EX) and colour (ZWO ASi 294 MC-pro) cameras.  When I switched from an astromodified DSLR, I bought the Atik mono camera so that I could get narrowband images from my light polluted back garden.  This has worked well.  I bought a full set of RGB filters to take normal RGB images as well, but to be honest, the amount of time taken to capture data and the paucity of clear nights I can spend away from my light polluted back garden capturing this data made me re-evaluate this approach.  The ZWO colour camera fulfils my needs much better in this respect.

I’m having the exact same thoughts about RGB filter imaging.  Struggling with it too due to weather and other issues.

Thats a nice image.  If you don’t mind me saying, I would have expected a little more detail in M81 from 2 hours of data with a cooled camera. 

That’s really interesting.  I’ve recently got an ASI294 Pro.  One of my early attempts, including this target (27 minutes worth) is here:

20190225_Bode-Q8-ASI294-27x1m.thumb.jpg.d9f88a237ff91d5800ebc67cde3bf42a.jpg

I’m struck by the differences.  What scope did you use?

Fully agree that this is a different beast from a CCD (I also have a mono 460EX.)

Tony

Archived