M45 diffraction spikes, and M82 single exposure.

Hi,

Just got in to AP. And this is my first post.  Now I've only had 2 decent nights, the curse of the sky where I live. Yesterday I focused on doing single frames to test a few targets. Equipment: 200PDS,HEQ5 and Canon EOS1300D, no coma corrector. My question is what is causing all the extra diffraction spikes around the stars, between the spider vein spikes?                                                                                               I have seen these on some other photos on this forum as well. Any way to reduce this?

M45 Iso 800, 60s:

Single__0008_ISO800_60s__4C_M45.thumb.jpg.0de3f2f2924b890d5d321e25875fcb9c.jpg

M82 Iso 800, 75s:

Single__0004_ISO800_75s__NA.thumb.JPG.e7f99c98f588da8c4501f51a9b0aa5c3.JPG

4 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. The mirror clips. If you don't like them, you could fit a 'donut' mask over the mirror to hide them.

HTH

Ah ok, then at least it's nothing wrong.

Thank you alacant

1 hour ago, AKB said:

For interest, take a look at this thread investigating the same problem...

Thats what I've been looking for. Thank you.

I think I'll take out the primary and have a look at it today. It's causing some agony when focusing. I've also seen this visual and it's kinda anoying. 

Ok, then a made a 3 part mask, and fixed each part under the mirror clamps. Used some black waterproof cardboard, just a thin rim around the edge of the mirror. Waiting for sky to clear again, and I'll post the after result picture as soon as i got one. Getting the tube fitted to the main mirror again is NOT EASY on the 200pds. Just a word of advice. I'ts going to be a while before i do that again. 

1 minute ago, RolandKol said:

hmm :) 
I have 130PDS... not a 200 canon :)
but even so, I always fit Mirror onto the OTA, not vise versa ;)

OTA stands quite nicely upside down :)

Yeah :) But a lot of black something were pealing of the edges when I took it off ;) Did not want it in the tube when i re-fitted. But I guess thats just my paranoia ;) 

Archived