sharpcap polar alignment questions

hi all just trying to redo my polar alignment heq5 on fixed pier,battling clouds and the adjusters on the heq5,just a few questions

1 how accurate is it

2 when it asks you to turn mount 90 degree is that critical

just realised how critica,touchyl it is to polar mount when something is saying poor/fair/good, although for some reasons never had problems with my ed80 on this mount ,any comments appreciated as always thanks

1. Its more accurate imo than the Polemaster software. I get typical 0.6-0.9" RMS error in PHD with only a Sharpcap polar align.i never bother drift aligning.

2. Doesnt need to be 90°. Somewhere near will do. It uses this to calculate its centre of rotation to work out the required adjustments.

When you adjust only fine movements needed. When it says UP it's the rear knob assuming your standing in front of the mount. When it says LEFT you need to turn the right knob, and vice versa. Get it as close as you can. To check return the mount to the home position before closing Sharpcap. Don't be alarmed if you initially got it down to excellent at first and if return to home it then yields a larger error like GOOD. I find this quite often. I don't believe there is a quicker, more accurate method to polar alignment.

Archived