Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Field Flattener question

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

i looked at those, but was given the impression they are designed for the starwave ota and the one i got is a more generic one for slightly longer focal length scopes like the ED80 at f7.5. the kit is really just what i have with a canon T Ring added. 

The more I think about it, the more it seems the likely source of the problem. Looking at mine, it's like yours - it has a M42 male t-thread. Unscrewing it there is just an M55 male thread. The kit above is designed for a canon dslr and includes an M48 canon t-ring. So it's different and spacing must be different. Without the included M48 t-ring it will work fine with an astro camera with appropriate t-thread spacer. But for a dslr, you need the kit to get the right spacing. I don't think the above kit is specific for the Starwave. Rather, I think it's the kit you need to connect a canon dslr.

The obvious, and quickest, way to resolve this is to contact your supplier and ask them :)

Louise

1 minute ago, Thalestris24 said:

The more I think about it, the more it seems the likely source of the problem. Looking at mine, it's like yours - it has a M42 male t-thread. Unscrewing it there is just an M55 male thread. The kit above is designed for a canon dslr and includes an M48 canon t-ring. So it's different and spacing must be different. Without the included M48 t-ring it will work fine with an astro camera with appropriate t-thread spacer. But for a dslr, you need the kit to get the right spacing. I don't think the above kit is specific for the Starwave. Rather, I think it's the kit you need to connect a canon dslr.

The obvious, and quickest, way to resolve this is to contact your supplier and ask them :)

Louise

I got it direct from altair astro

this is a line from the website for the lightwave 0.8 

- For DSLRs a standard T-Thread adapter of approx. 10mm thickness is required.

20 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

on the plus side, my guiding is looking good tonight for a change. 

Iv'e just banged off and email to altair with a sub to show the problem. hopefully hear back from them. 

image.thumb.png.ea32e4f160102289f0ba3e3e9da8899a.png

Your target is a bit off - maybe a balance problem....

Just now, Thalestris24 said:

Hopefully, aa will clarify. There is obviously a problem but the problem isn't obvious! I didn't think aa sold direct anymore as they have all their retailers - but I could be wrong!

yeah, you can buy direct from the website. they do list suppliers too. 

2 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I see from your sig you use a filter drawer, any reason over a filter wheel? 

They are light! Only about 15mm in optical length though the threads are a bit iffy - https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3979_TS-Optics-Filterschublade-fuer-2--Filter---M48-Anschluss---Laenge-15-mm.html

I only really use them for H-alpha. I have a fw on the 115mm Apo. I don't think I've used the setup since last summer. It's hopeless here :( I've been doing short exposure / live stacking instead, when I can and mostly just with a 200mm lens.

Louise

On 26/03/2019 at 21:24, Thalestris24 said:

Hopefully, aa will clarify. There is obviously a problem but the problem isn't obvious! I didn't think aa sold direct anymore as they have all their retailers - but I could be wrong!

Well I emailed them that night, got a reply about 30 mins later at 10pm which I thought was amazing, said he'd look at it in the morning and let me know. Heard nothing so emailed this afternoon and as a side note asked about the sensor distance on the 1600. Half hour later got a single line reply stating the sensor distance is 17.5mm. I'd already said that in the email. Disappointing reply considering I'm asking a question on a new product and maybe wanted to buy one.

Archived