Dedicated astro camera Suggestions (progressing from DSLR)

I am looking at getting a dedicated camera for DSO,s. Currently using a modified DSLR.

I cannot afford a fortune (yet ? ) so looking around the £500 mark.

Possibly something like the Atik 314L+. But I am very new to this so not sure what is the best around this price range.

Any suggestions?

Is there a big risk in getting 2nd hand?

Steve

I moved from a Canon 70D to an Atik414osc and obtained some really very pleasing results; I really like my osc. I rarely use either now as light pollution has dramatically increased where I live (we once lived backing onto open countryside but now we are effectively in the middle of a large housing development!) so I tend to focus on NB and even OIII can be frustrating.

I would have thought 2nd hand would be fine and something like a 414 ought to be close to your budget. At least with osc there are no extra costs, i.e. filters and wheels/holders.

HTH

Many thanks for the reply @Adreneline.

With the possibility of maybe being a numpty question do I understand this correctly. The only difference between the 314 or 414 mono and colour is that the colour version is an OSC and I can obtain colour images with this without additional filters whilst the mono I would need filters (either RGB or narrowband etc) and then produce the colour image in the processing? 

If this is correct (probably not and I have got the wrong end of the proverbial stick ? ) then as they are the same price what is the advantage of the mono ? Is is the narrowband route?

Steve

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

The only difference between the 314 or 414 mono and colour is that the colour version is an OSC and I can obtain colour images with this without additional filters whilst the mono I would need filters (either RGB or narrowband etc) and then produce the colour image in the processing?

Hello Steve,

The 414 I have comes in two varaints - colour and mono. You can obtain colour images directly without additional filters although I do use an IDAS UV/IR blocking filter which is permanently attached to the reducer/flattener.

When I first started out on AP I used my Canon 70D but I got quite distressed about the fact that I would bring it inside after a night of imaging and it would be soaking wet with dew. I use my 70D a lot for normal photography so I decided I needed a dedicated camera that would withstand the moisture. I went down the osc route (a) because the expense was less and (b) because it was advocated as a good way to go in Making Every Photon Count - which I read until it fell apart!

Over 24 months I have achieved some very pleasing colour images when used with my ED80DS-Pro and processing with PixInsight; it is very well made and has never missed a beat. It sees very little use now because the LP has gone up exponentially round here and I find Ha imaging the only rewarding option using an Atik 428ex mono (which externally looks exactly the same as the 414 and is just as well made). My ED80 and 414 have sat on the shelf in the study for nearly a year since last used :( .

I simetimes feel osc cameras get a lot of bad press on this forum but they can produce very pleasing and rewarding results without the complication of filters. Some argue that using an osc over mono requires longer imaging time and processing time but having used both I'm not convinced the differences are that significant. You pays your money - you takes your pick!

HTH

Adrian

The difference between the OSC and Mono cameras is as follows:

OSC = colour, and will produce RGB images without having to take further filters and combine.  Just like a DSLR. 

Mono = you need a filterwheel and filters to produce colour and narrowband images.  Because there is no Bayer matrix, the mono cameras are much more sensitive and will show greater detail.

I have used both and much prefer the mono camera results and flexibility, if you live in a LP location, you would find the ability to use narrowband a boon.  It is more expensive, as you need to buy filters and filterwheel, and there is a bit of a learning curve to combining the filters etc, but in the long run I would not go back to a OSC if one was given to me FOC.

2nd hand I would think the Atik314L is about the only one being sold at that price, most others are more expensive.  Most imagers look after their kit, and if you buy on here people have a reputation to uphold.  You just missed my Atik314L & FW that I recently sold at £500, so that's about the right price.   Word of warning though, the FOV of the Atik314L is much smaller than the DSLR. 

If you decide to go down the CMOS route, make sure to get one than is a Cooled model as I gather they sell uncooled as well. 

Carole 

Many thanks for the help. I already have a filter wheel and filters bought on the forums classified for when I do progress, and although it means more work to get some results do want to get into narrowband so makes sense to go the mono route. 

I will look into the FOV of the Atik314L, as often I have found that the wider FOV of the DSLR is not always required and often end up cropping quite a lot anyway but also may hold on a little and spend a little more on a camera, although maybe only £600 to £700 2nd hand.

Once again thanks for the advice ?

Steve

Archived