Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some clusters and doubles 26/02/19

Astro Imp

Took advantage of another clear night and spent a few hours having fun.
Started with the low clusters around Canis Major/Puppis M41, M46 the sky was too bright and claggy to pick out the planetary nebula, M47, looked for M93 but this was really low and couldn't pick it out in the bright sky and general poor conditions at this altitude.
Moved over to Mon for M48, M50 and NGC 2264 (Christmas Tree cluster) then to Orion for NGC 2169 (37 cluster).
Had a good look at what IMO is one of the stand out open clesters M35 in Gemini and then took in the Messiers in Auriga.
Observed the two clusters in Cancer M44 and M67 and while there went up to the beautiful double iota Cancri.
Went back to Gemini for Castor and the easy double 38 Gem.
Spent the rest of the evening observing the easy doubles, Mizar/Alcor, Cor Corali and while in the area took in La Superba, Mu Bootes (Alkalurops}. Gamma Leonis (Algieba} and 54 Leonis.
The last object was M53 a glob in Coma. Although a lot of the local lights were now off the view of this was very poor, the transparency obviously wasn't great so I called it a night as there was obviously no point chasing the faint stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eastman said:

Do return to M53 under better circumstances, it's a nice glob

I have seen M53 on previous occasions and knew when I saw it that night conditions weren't at their best.
Will be going back when the opportunity presents itself.

Archived