NGC 2169

Out for a few hours this evening with the bino's and scope, 8 inch F6 newt.  Working through a list I've been putting together recently.  It really does help to have some idea of targets for the viewing session.  Tried some sketching too which slowed things down a bit.   Sigma Orionis split handily enough into  four components with the 6mm EP.  No luck with 32 Orionis, must be a tight one.  Mintaka,  nice, with some red/orange in the secondary.  BL Ori, first view of a carbon star with the scope. It was a beautiful glowing coal in the 25mm, has wet my appetite for these stars.  While on BL Ori noticed a nice chain of stars a few degrees to the right in the finderscope. Followed them down to a faint blur at the end.  Through the EP showed  a small but striking assemblage of stars. Checked on the atlas and turned out to be NGC 2169. Well worth hunting down.  Al Kirkab in Gemini was just about separated with the 6mm, with the 10 mag companion swimming in and out. Onto Leo, Algieba split with the 12 mm, two yellow diamonds. No luck  with the Leo Triplet, saw something but could not be certain.  A nice few hours under the stars. 

Nice session Ciaran. 2169 is an old favourite of mine, always seem to be drawn back to it. There is a tiny double in the top corner of the '3' (thanks Neil ;)) which is worth checking out at higher power.

NGC457 is another fun one, well.worth looking for. The Owl or ET cluster, looks like a little stick man to me :)

Hi folks, as luck would have it I drew a rough sketch of the 37 cluster. Actually took quit a while,  rapid drift and fairly faint.  Posted my ob notes here,  rough and ready I'm afraid.  Will definitely revisit 37 for another look. ?

IMG_20190224_095709.jpg

33 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

NGC 2169 is also known as the 37 cluster. 

Now you mention it, I can spot a 37 in the asterism.  Inverted in my scope of course ?  

3 hours ago, AstroCiaran123 said:

Now you mention it, I can spot a 37 in the asterism.  Inverted in my scope of course ?  

Yes, its confusing isn't it. Back to front in my refractory. I guess you need a trip to Aus with your Newt, not even sure that would work!

EDIT Minor detail of Orion not being visible down under ????

2 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

I think you will find that it is ... although it is upside down!

DOH! Should check my facts first shouldn't I! Had a quick look at Skysafari and thought it was below the horizon.

Looking at it, the combination of a newt in Aus should make it the right way round!

Screenshot_20190224-185854_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

The red and blue contrasted beautifully at the EP.  Will revisit at next opportunity.

Have a pair of steller 15x70's on way from FLO,  let's see what they make of it. 

22 hours ago, Stu said:

Minor detail of Orion not being visible down under

Excuse me sir! You obviously haven't been reading my reports of late, it's at about 65 degrees elevation here, waaay up high. 

I posted this photo after your Mewlon photos in the dark, it's pointing straight up at Sirius next to Orion.....?

20190221_203106.thumb.jpg.8db2c4f7c3b06135ad9e732e29d9747d.jpg.d72ac0a4306ef7f2454d58c37b632ac8.jpg

31 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Excuse me sir! You obviously haven't been reading my reports of late, it's at about 65 degrees elevation here, waaay up high. 

I posted this photo after your Mewlon photos in the dark, it's pointing straight up at Sirius next to Orion.....?

20190221_203106.thumb.jpg.8db2c4f7c3b06135ad9e732e29d9747d.jpg.d72ac0a4306ef7f2454d58c37b632ac8.jpg

Thanks Geoff. My school boy error is coming back to haunt me ???, just took a quick look at Skysafari and didn't think! Very tempting to use mod special powers to erase my error but that would be cheating ??.

I bet it is great up so high in the sky, I've seen it from Tanzania where it was pretty decent, Orion was on its side and there were so many stars it was pretty confusing to find anything!

Archived