Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help identifying filters

IvIark

I’m an older observer who is returning to the hobby after maybe 15 years off when the kids made me too tired to haul a scope outside once they’d gone to bed. 

I was looking through all my old stuff before and found some filters and I can’t for the life of me remember what they are and unfortunately there’s no markings. There’s 3 filters and a set of coloured filters which are Vixen. I think these are almost certainly Vixen too because I was always in Orion Optics at the time and getting things off Barry and John. My question is can they be identified just by the look or is it still too ambiguous? If anyone can help or offer advice I’d be grateful. 

Thanks, Mark

841365E7-E8D7-4F02-836E-08AAD3BA1DCE.thumb.jpeg.f01559086145742c0e91f512819fcd93.jpeg

10EC88C8-7CB9-483D-AB11-98780776694E.thumb.jpeg.c843b0907b468ed79d010d9d02e82434.jpeg

The top left one in the first picture is most like a thin-film, dielectric nebula filter based on the mirror-like reflection.  What is the dominant color when viewing a white light through it and the other two filters in that picture?

22 hours ago, Louis D said:

The top left one in the first picture is most like a thin-film, dielectric nebula filter based on the mirror-like reflection.  What is the dominant color when viewing a white light through it and the other two filters in that picture?

From the picture I posted:

Left

0BF7500F-3D9A-4F8D-AED0-A1BDFA2DB786.thumb.jpeg.5145bb19e9500719b39e525d5de7252c.jpeg

Middle

48F324F2-2762-451C-8210-C1FDD63B5F77.thumb.jpeg.166fe201d2d66c778055f2ddd74b7060.jpeg

Right

AE612B6B-DC0D-4844-97C1-F090BC72F854.thumb.jpeg.0330771cd839eb40a09be9027c75aa2f.jpeg

the right hand one really doesn’t have much colour to it at all. The coatings when I hold it at an angle to the light are purple and if I let light shine through it onto a white surface it has a tinge of blue

thanks, Mark

I would guess that the "green" filter is a UHC/nebula type, the "blue" filter is a CLS/light pollution type and the clear filter is a skylight filter, so that if you have the filters in a filter wheel you can switch from a filtered view to an "unfiltered" view (using the skylight) without needing to refocus.

39 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

I would guess that the "green" filter is a UHC/nebula type, the "blue" filter is a CLS/light pollution type and the clear filter is a skylight filter, so that if you have the filters in a filter wheel you can switch from a filtered view to an "unfiltered" view (using the skylight) without needing to refocus.

Agreed.  There is also the possibility that the first/green filter is an OIII nebula filter and the second/blue filter is a UHC nebula filter.  The third is most certainly a UV/Skylight filter for the purpose you described.  I'll have to hold my Lumicon OIII and UHC filters up to a white background to see how they look in comparison.  I don't have a traditional light pollution filter, but I do have the newer moon & skyglow filter, so I could compare it as well.

1 hour ago, IvIark said:

Excellent, thanks guys you've been a real help.  I haven't had them out at all yet so first opportunity I get I'll see if they seem to perform the function you describe.

?

Try them on the Orion Nebula this time of year.  You should be able to see increased contrast between the background sky and the nebula if they are indeed nebula filters.  The more dramatic, the narrower the passband.  Typically they rank from LPR (Light Pollution Reduction) < UHC < OIII in terms of contrast.

Archived