Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

22/02/2019

Astro Imp

Set up the new Esprit just as it was getting dark. 
Had a break to cook and eat dinner.
I wanted to have a good long session and the evening started well, nice clear skies with only a small amount of cloud and for once the neighbours lights weren't beaming down.
Started with some easy targets, M44, M67, M35 and the Auriga Messiers. As most of you know I usually view with an eight inch Dob so viewing with the frac was a new experience for me. The different colours of the stars in this first few clusters was very apparent. I would have liked to have turned to the double cluster but unfortunately this is out of view at this time, I really need to view this Sept/Oct time.
Next was a few easy doubles, Castor, iota Cancri, this is becoming a favourite, beta Mon, Cor Caroli,  Mizar/Alcor, Algeiba.
By now I was really starting to enjoy the new toy and thought I'd have a break, clear the dishes from dinner and sit with a cup of tea and plan the rest of the night 'til the moon was in a viewable position.
When I went back out to continue the fun I couldn't believe what I was seeing, wall to wall cloud. Still it was good while it lasted but when I started I thought I was in for a good long session, oh well perhaps next time.                                                                  

@Stu I have the 100ED, I can see I'm in for a lot of fun when we get some really good nights. Having done all my observing with a Newtonian in the past using the frac is a completely different experience. As I mentioned in my report not only were the stars points but the variation in colour seemed to show more in the clusters I observed. This surprised more than anything and I was well pleased. Can't wait to get out again, not looking good atm.

Archived