SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

21/02/2019

Astro Imp

Had a good night.
Before the moon rose I's planned to observe some DSOs but had to change plans as my neighbours were lit up like Wembley Stadium.
Spent the time looking at doubles, the only DSO I managed was the Eskimo Nebula.
Waited for the moon to clear neighbours roof.
Petavius was right on the terminator and was showing well although the seeing wasn't the best. Went north to Langrenus whose central peaks were throwing two distinct shadows, the terracing on the eastern wall was easily observed and appeared very steep. Then on to Mare Crisium. It was interesting to note the eastern shore had already gone into shadow and looking at this I really had the impression of the mare curving away over the terminator,
Spent a long time cruising up and down the terminator enjoying the views and seeing the sun gradually setting.
Was surprised how warm it was but very damp.

Blooming neighbours!! Blooming external lighting!! (My new neighbours are much the same sometimes).

It was quite misty here last night so I went out for a drink instead, but Saturday is looking good so hoping to get out Saturday night. I love your description of the moon and Crisium.

I went out on Wednesday night thanks to the Thanet Astronomy Group, but the moon was washing most things out. The highlight of the night for me then was seeing Uranus again which I always like seeing, but also seeing a beautiful orange moon rising over the horizon and buildings on Margate seafront by eye. It looked fantastic. Unfortunately none of us had bothered to bring a camera with us!

I was also disappointed with the tracking and alignment of my scope. When I first got it I loosened off the central nut on the base mount so I could slew it by hand easier as it was really stiff originally, but I think I've probably overdone it and so I'll be taking it apart again and tightening the bolt up again in the hope that helps!

All the best!

I see you have the big brother to my scope. I find the tracking really good. On occasions when I only want to do some lunar observing I don't bother with doing an align and just turn the tracking to lunar and so long as I've started in a good home position it tracks really well. A few nights ago I set up for lunar, turned the tracking on and had a quick look, went in for dinner and a cuppa, cleared the dirty dishes and when I came out about an hour later the moon had drifted just out of view of the eyepiece but was still well in the finder scope FOV. I was quite impressed. I find the more trouble you take to start at a good home position the better the tracking.
Hope you get yours sorted.
Good luck and clear skies.

Good going Alan!  I packed up before the Moon rose - spent some time on an elusive double in Taurus (I'll report when I crack it), then M42, the Trapezium, and the Double Cluster, mainly to compare my fracs with the 8SE Cat.  Not a remarkable session, largely because of poor transparency, but I did conclude that fracs really do give the sharpest star images.  Trouble is, I now want a decent 120/150!

Doug.

On 22/02/2019 at 09:44, Astro Imp said:

Hope you get yours sorted.

Thanks Alan,

I owned the 8" version before this one. I loved it, and still think maybe I should have kept that scope, but aperture greed took hold and I saw someone selling the 12" version on E-bay 2nd hand for a good price and couldn't resist going for it. But you're right the tracking and alignment of my 8" scope was always brilliant. Always got a delight from watching it slew to an object and then seeing it in the centre of the eye piece on nearly all occasions. It was my first GoTo scope.

The 12" hasn't been behaving quite so well so I took the base to pieces again and increased the tension on the worm screw gear. I took it out last night, (briefly before the mist and fog rolled in and ruined everything!), and it was working much better. I think before there was so little tension, the worm gear was backing off and just turning when at low speed, rather than turning the scope. Now I know what to do I might even go back and add a little more pressure but I'll see how it goes.

It was a surreal evening actually. I was down what is normally a deserted farm track, but last night there was an organized marathon run going past me! Every couple of minutes another few runners with head torches would run past me and I would cheer them on and they would say thanks or even ask about the scope! One couple even said they would be back to have a look on the next loop, but due to the fog I didn't stay long. The things you see in the night in the middle of nowhere!

The highlight for me that night was the Orion Nebula which looked better and clearer than I'd ever seen it. Can't wait to get out again!

Pleased you're getting sorted.
Seems like an interesting night.
Lately we've had the mist drift in, I was all set for long session Friday, got started came in to clear up from dinner, have a cuppa and plan the rest of the evening, when I went out I was met by wall to wall cloud.
No chance tonight, not a star to be seem and I'd spent quite some time this pm preparing an observing list, Oh well maybe tomorrow.

Archived