Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M109 First Attempt and M51

mikemabel

Hello

Thought i would post this image of M109 taken yesterday . 60x1min Luminance subs 30x1min Red subs then the clouds came in

Gain was 194 according to APT which seems to always chose this level

Taken with my new ZWO 183MM pro camera which replaced my 450D

I don't think this galaxy gets much attention ?

Scope was SW ED72 with field flattener and guided

Its not great but still I'm still learning . I'm struggling to get any colour as yet

M51 was taken a week ago same exposure regime but the computer played up so colour subs were spoiled

If anybody has any advice regarding this camera with regard to exposure times for LRGB This would be really appreciated

Thanks

Mike

M51 (3).jpg

M109-cropped.jpg

I'm afraid I can't really help with advice on your ZWO as I'm [still] an Atik man but...

...hat tip for even attempting to image these with a 72mm objective, 420mm scope.  Your M109 is impressive for 90 minutes worth of data.  I imaged it a few years ago with my 11" SCT and recall it being pretty challenging.  I might be tempted to collect a lot more luminance data and see how much you can improve the monochrome image.

Have you tried collecting the colour data binned?  It's amazing what some people can achieve with not much colour data and a good luminance layer...

Cheers x6gas

Your advice to use binning is well taken . I have just read the great advice in the Tips and Tricks section

advising to bin colour so i will next time .

I love the ED72 as its so portable . I can lift it with the 60mm guide scope on top

camera and wheel attached in one hand no effort at all.  The guiding was also spot on . The HEQ5 must not even notice it

I'm waiting for a Startravel ST102 to arrive from FLO to see if this is a worthwhile upgrade to maximise

my imaging time . 

Thanks 

Mike

Archived