Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASI 1600M Pro vs. QHY163M - is there a winner?

Adreneline

Hi Everyone,

I trying to suppress the urge to buy a large (for me) sensor CMOS camera.

Looking at the specs for these two cameras there seems to be very little to choose between them, unless I am missing something.

I see lots of people on the forum using the 1600 very successfully but was wondering if the 163 is a contender in the 4/3"  CMOS stakes.

Or is there something else (another brand/model) I should be considering.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Adrian

37 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Hi Everyone,

I trying to suppress the urge to buy a large (for me) sensor CMOS camera.

Looking at the specs for these two cameras there seems to be very little to choose between them, unless I am missing something.

I see lots of people on the forum using the 1600 very successfully but was wondering if the 163 is a contender in the 4/3"  CMOS stakes.

Or is there something else (another brand/model) I should be considering.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Adrian

The ASI1600mm pro is more popular for one reason only and that it that it is able to use 1.25inch filters while the QHY163m really needs to use 36mm filters due to the sensor backfocus. Apart from that I think they are close to identical in terms of image quality.

On the other hand the QHY168c is more popular than the ASI071mc pro by my reckoning due to the early problems that ZWO had with that camera / sensor in the original model. 

Adam

29 minutes ago, Adam J said:

the QHY163m really needs to use 36mm filters

Hi Adam,

I was hoping to be able to use one or the other with one of these:

IMG_8512.thumb.jpg.084e6ed24243e51e87252c8ad93b2276.jpg

and Baader 2" filters with a Samyang 135mm.

Would that work in your opinion?

Thank you.

Adrian

38 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Hi Adam,

I was hoping to be able to use one or the other with one of these:

IMG_8512.thumb.jpg.084e6ed24243e51e87252c8ad93b2276.jpg

and Baader 2" filters with a Samyang 135mm.

Would that work in your opinion?

Thank you.

Adrian

Yes my only comment to you about 2 inch filters is that you are limiting yourself to budget filters in the future. I use 1.25 inch Astrodon filters with my ASI1600mm pro I would never be able to afford 36mm or 2 inch astrodon filters.

29 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I use 1.25 inch Astrodon filters

Thank you Adam. I think it is possible to buy a 1.25" carrier for this adapter. I was concerned that using 1.25" with such a large sensor might cause problems but if you are using it successfully that is obviously not the case.

Thanks again for taking the time to replay.

Regards,

Adrian

On 16/02/2019 at 13:13, Adreneline said:

Thank you Adam. I think it is possible to buy a 1.25" carrier for this adapter. I was concerned that using 1.25" with such a large sensor might cause problems but if you are using it successfully that is obviously not the case.

Thanks again for taking the time to replay.

Regards,

Adrian

It's because of the short sensor to filter distance on the asi1600 on the why that is longer and so you can't use 1.25inch like you can with the ask.

Also worth noting that this is all f ratio dependent so for fast lenses you need bigger filters too. 

5 hours ago, Adam J said:

for fast lenses you need bigger filters

Well I want to use my Samyang 135mm and I will never be able to justify Astrodon filters so I will stick with my Baader 2" filters and be satisfied with what I can achieve.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Adrian

Archived