NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar mosaic - matching colours

I captured the a 6% crescent a couple of nights ago, and after processing I am stitching the images together into a mosaic. It was not the best imaging session, done in a hurry before the moon got too low with bands of thin cloud keep moving across it. I also found that getting the gain and exposure settings right is quite hard for a thin moon. Any tips there would be appreciated.

When stitching the last bits of moon together, I have found there is quite a colour mismatch. Any tips on what to do to try and make them match? Although you can't tell from the cut and paste below of the two areas, both are currently seperate layers in GIMP, so I can play around with levels. I have tried a few of the tools in the colours menu but I can't find anything that gets the lower part remotely close to the upper part.

mismatched.png

I think that is where my problem is. The moon appeared different colours in the last couple of video captures, so the stills and the processed image came out different. I did use the same stacking options, except the number of alignment points.

Archived