Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What mount to get

So I already have an alt Z Mount that came with my first telescope and I had gotten a basic eq mount for 99 dollars from explore Scientific that worked out better but it didn't have a polar scope and can't seem to make a good alignment with it so I reciently decided to order a GoTo mount so I can have an easier time since they normally come with a polar scope and can do the 2 and 3 star alignment as well and I also would like the tracking feature for astrophotography.  So about 2 weeks ago I ordered the explore Scientific https://www.highpointscientific.com/explore-scientific-exos-2gt-goto-equatorial-mount-with-pmc-8-electronics-exos2gtpmct3-00 however it's on back order and no I'm second guessing my decision and wondering if I should just cancel and get something else.  I know there is better out there but I want the best I can get for under 1000 dollars and preferably the best deal I can get for the most I can get.   I'm mainly considering all this because I just say a sale on the celestron avx mount and it does look sexy and able to hold 30lbs which is a few lbs more than the one I ordered however the es mount has a belt drive and the avx has DC motors or something so not sure which motor type is best also the es mount is wireless while u need to spend an extra 100 for the avg to make it wireless and the avg doesn't even come with a polar scope while the eshas an illuminated polar scope so I think probably the es mount may be better right?  It's just a little appealing with the avgs sleeker look and remote control operation rather than having to use a tablet or laptop with the es mount but then I have ready many people having issues with the avx mount and some recommending the es mount over the avx on cloudy nights.  And many of these reviews were going back since 2013  so it seems that maybe the es mount may be newer as well.   I'm just a bit confused as to what kind of Mount is the best for the money. 

If you don't anticipate attaching a DSLR in place of an eyepiece and taking pictures(astrophotography) in future...

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-SkyView-Equatorial-Telescope-Mount/dp/B0069WDUW8

...although you can certainly engage in astrophotography with that one.  But if you do plan on imaging in future, in the long run this is the best EQ5-class mount for astrophotography...

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-9995-Sirius-Computerized-Telescope/dp/B00E63KTQW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1549429782&sr=1-1&keywords=orion+sirius

I'd go ahead and get that one, regardless.  Both are the same as the Sky-Watcher mounts favoured in the UK...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5-pro-synscan-goto.html (Orion SkyView Pro)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html (Orion Sirius)

Edited by Alan64

8 minutes ago, DS24 said:

Hmmm links didn't work and I believe your suggesting different mounts altogether but I think I've head that es mount is an eq5 type anyway 

I just corrected them.  Have another look.  Specific links directly to Orion of California products are seemingly forbidden on astronomy websites outside the U.S.  I would order your choice directly from Orion however, not Amazon...

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/2160.home

Yes, the EXOS-2GT is an EQ5-class mount.

Edited by Alan64

Hi DS, I will completely agree with Alan and support any of his advises.

Just keep in mind the main points while choosing another one:

1) Payload, - mount Must be able to carry some extra, not just the scope. if you will try diving into astrophotography, you will add camera, field flattener or coma corrector, guiding camera, guiding scope, few meters of USB cables all other around.

So that extra payload should not be just 1kg, but the More is better :) probably 5kg extra as minimum.

2) all specifications about gears/belts, amount of stars in the memory, WiFi, -  are completely irrelevant for the entry level mounts, - the main quality is Ability to track without errors (or probably more correct, - with as much little errors as possible).

For short Focal Length scopes up to F10, Skywatcher HEQ5 (which is a bit better than a simple EQ5) has proved itself as one of the best entry level mounts for Astrophotography.

So keep the level of specs of HEQ5 as a starting point. 
If you still need AZ option for visual, there are even AZ/EQ mounts (two in one) like this one https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az-eq5-gt-geq-alt-az-mount.html

In Skywatcher brand, they are usually more expensive as they are like End Of the Class and usually considered a better quality.

P.S.

You have not mentioned which scope you plan to add on top. If not decided yet, try keeping F value low as Entry level mounts will not be able to guide properly at longer focal lengths.

P.P.S. As per WiFi, if you will try using one for AP, sooner or later you will run into some problems (guiding and reliability related, AP software connectivity issues, plus - not sure which camera will allow you to download images from it directly via WiFi) and you will Stick USB cable back, leave laptop next to the Mount and control it via another laptop using TeamViewer or similar option.

Edited by RolandKol

The answer is: it depends. 

As others wrote, the exos2 is basically an EQ5 with... basically the same Level of performance of an EQ5! So, it could be used up to a 6" newton (barely) or an 80mm ED, with lightweight guiding gear. 

But general consensus around is that it's soo much easier to use an HEQ5 (same as Orion Sirius) with the same kind of ota and get better results. Don't look At a 8" Scope, though. 

Disregard manufacturers' claims on payload rating. A good rule of thumb is that your gear (FULL GEAR, including imaging camera, guidescope and guidecam) shouldn't exceed 50%-60% of the rated value. 

Yes, i've also heard several people complaining of the AVX, which is same Class as The EQ5: I don't know if everything has been fixed recently, but it was regarded as a slightly complex mount, sometimes temperamental.... Maybe someone owning it may correct. But for the polar Scope the claim is that it's not needed thanks to the assisted polar alignment routine: the new HEQ5 firmware has this function too, yet i prefer to use the polarscope. 

I have not checked: does the EXOS2 GT  have an ST4 autiguiding input? Basically you can forget serious (Long exposure) astrophotography unguided

So, it depends: if you want to start on a budget you May get some results with an EQ5 Class mount, but my advise would be to look for a used HEQ5 /Sirius in good shape and apply the Rowan belt mod to increase accuracy and remove backlash, while making it much less noisy. 

Fabio 

If you have no option to step up and get HEQ5 level mount, check for a second hand one. 

As sooner or later, Exos2 will not be enough for you expectations.

On another hand, if you will put Camera (for ex. Canon) and 135mm or maybe even 300mm Canon lens on it,

It looks like this mount will be more than enough to download quite a nice images from the sky without any telescope :)

To summarize,  - it will mostly depend on what rig you are planning to put on the top. 

Well as it can be shorty to look for a 2nd hand good mount I just want to stick to ordering a sub 1000 dollar mount so I called highpoint the online place I've been ordering stuff from and the tech recommended the celestron avx over the explore Scientific exos-2gt and he said they are both nearly the same performance wise but the avx can hold a bit more weight so I just ordered that.  I know a sub 1000 mount isn't going to be perfect but I'm not trying to be a professional astro anything either so hopefully it'll be good enough to track and point to what I Wanna see. 

• 11 months later...

I'm also thinking of upgrading to a 40 lbs. or so EQ. I don't see a hand controller. What about basic observing & GOTO independently? It looks, like that mount requires a cell 'phone or computer to slew.  Never used that model, just Celestron & Orion.