Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher SynScan Wifi connection problems - Solved!

bobmoss

So I got a SynScan WiFi adapter from FLO today to go with my AZ-EQ6 GT mount. I plugged it in, downloaded the SynScan Pro Android software onto my Samsung S7, connected to the new access point and tried to connect.

"Cannot connect" the phone shouted at me! Tried several times, rebooted the phone, rebooted the mount, un-installed and re-installed the software, but phone said no.

I then Used IP tools on the phone and this verified that my phone was connected to the SynsScan Wifi, had an IP address of 192.168.4.2 and that I could ping the telescope on 192.168.4.1.

So, I went and got my android tablet and Bingo! - connected first time. So started to compare the settings on the two and eventually found the problem!

In the SynScan Pro app, if you go to "Settings" and then "Connect Settings", there are three buttons across the top - "Network", "Emulator" and "Serial". I found that on my phone for some reason "Serial" was selected. Once I clicked "Network" and tried to connect again it connected first time with no problem!

The annoying thing is that with "serial" connected, the "No connection screen shows you the network SSID you are connected to, which leads you to believe you are connecting via the network!

So after spending ages trying to fix this I thought I would post this little tales in the hope that it may be useful to others in the future.

Screenshot_20190205-155054.thumb.jpg.8ccdded41ec654852251856e34107ba8.jpgScreenshot_20190205-155116.thumb.jpg.bfbc816373693d0740a2664c7f445418.jpgScreenshot_20190205-155123.thumb.jpg.95bf5069368f13e0c4c530bf75601ade.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for posting this. 

I posted a question last week regarding this very issue and could not work out what the issue was.

Following your instructions, I've now got the app talking to the mount again, and looking at the update history on my phone, it seems that my problems started at about the time the Synscan Pro app last updated (03/04/19).

Here is my thread, which I've now directed towards this one.

Archived