Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Backlash problems!

Milliways

I have a really annoying problem with the amount of backlash on my ETX (az/ra)

I have tryed calibrating the motors and training the drives but to no avail :D . When i try doing a spiral search it just goes up and down too.. Some one help me please lol, i dont wanna start ripping the thing to bits and playing with cogs just yet!

Cheers

Dave.

Dave,

I don't have a Meade scope, but I happened to come across this bit of info on the net. Don't know if it's of any help.

2. Mount and Tripod Adjustments

Every Meade Model 4500 equatorial mount and tripod is factory inspected for proper fit and function prior to shipment. It is unlikely that you will need to adjust, or tighten these parts after receipt of the telescope. However, if the instrument received unusually rough handling in shipment, it is possible that some of these assemblies can be loose. To make adjustments you will need a 1/2" or 11/16" socket or adjustable end wrench, a 5/64" hex wrench, and a Phillips-head screwdriver. The equatorial mount has four main areas that can be adjusted: A loose polar shaft can be tightened by releasing a 5/64" hex set-screw that is on the side of the 11/16" polar shaft acorn cap nut (32), and then turning the 11/16" acorn cap nut clockwise to a firm feel, and then tightening the 5/64" hex set-screw. A loose Azimuth base (33), can be tightened by turning the 11/16" Azimuth shaft bolt (34), located underneath the mount and in between the three tripod legs, clockwise to a firm feel. The R.A. (35), and Dec. (36) worm block assemblies can have backlash removed by releasing the 2 Phillips-head screws on each assembly, applying pressure to the worm block against the worm gear, and then tightening the Phillips-head screws. Note that overtightening of any of the nuts, bolts, or screws can inhibit the smooth rotating action of the axes and gears, and may result in stripping the threads. The tripod legs have 1/2" nuts (39), and Phillips-head screws (38) that may have backed off, may also be tightened to a firm feel for the most sturdy performance of the telescope.

Regards,

philsail1

Can't help you with your specific problems, but this thread set me thinking. I don't know how much backlash is tolerable and how much isn't. On my (unguided) Vixen GP it's quite substantial in RA - as much as half a degree or more. I suppose GOTO and autoguiding would be put paid to with this state of affairs, but in my present set-up I just work around the problem - always make sure to approach my target in the 'forward' direction of RA and it seems to work OK. So long as I'm careful to avoid meridian flip. Am I doing the right thing? I'd rather the backlash than PE anyway...

I can fix it if need be, but I think 'supercharges' are a waste of money so don't offer it as a service.

Supercharging is Probably an "American" thing then probably comes with stick on flames and an OTA scoop.

Glad there are people in the UK who can look afetrthe other issues... VG optics let down by budget drive mechanics and poor QA...

Billy...

I can fix it if need be, but I think 'supercharges' are a waste of money so don't offer it as a service.

I tryed reseting the scope and set all the peramiters that i need for the backlash to be reduced but still to no avail :D

Am i right in thinking that the GOTO accuracy will be affected by this aswell?

How would you fix it? is there anyway that i (being completely new to all this) could fix it with help?

Cheers.

Dave

Archived