Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

phil bod

Cloudy Skies every night

From 7 O'Clock on this evening we had crystal clear skies here in Ottawa, Ontario. But at that time it was -20C and now, about the time I'd be packing up, it is -24C and reaching -32C with wind chill factored in. Not even this 'weathered' Canadian guy will brave these kinds of temperatures voluntarily for a photograph. The universe may be expanding at 68 kilometers per second, but from my viewpoint, it's not going anywhere!

• Like 3

You have practically same view as myself and I am also fed up of it. Came home from work tonight (5 ish) and crystal clear skies so big rush to get set up. Had some good viewing for an hour or two but very hazy now not good viewing at all now.

Where are those long nights with clear skies gone ? .

Steve

Met Office and BBC both telling me I'm enjoying clear skies at the moment - noop: I can barely see the moon.  10/10ths cloud.  Oh hum. Time to write the winter off.

Last night in Bishops Stortford ...we had clear skies ... i was delighted until i saw the moon ... completely washing out my viewing area :( 

Hopefully though we should be in for some nice frosty weather soon , although as i write this there is even more cloud zzz

It is all a bit depressing , especially as at this time of year we have a great opportunities to use our scopes more (supposedly ). Also i've had more than one occasion when ive spent ages setting up the equipment only for a blanket of cloud to completely ruin my experience ... oh well ... it just makes it all the more special when we do actually get clear skies .

• Like 1

It is now over 4 weeks since I received my telescope. There have been two nights when stars were visible.

The first night I discovered the collimation was so bad it was impossible to see anything.

The second night it was far too windy to use a telescope.

The forecast for the next few days is not good.?