Shaky image when pointing at high up objects

Jojo204

Hi all,

been having a great few previous weeks where the clear nights keep on coming! Having a lot of fun just observing! When it comes to imaging I had a few proper astrophotography sessions as mentioned in other topics and got some great (for my standard) M42 shots and a nice couple M31 Shots! However I have had the Pleiades on my checklist ever since I got my scope as it’s currently very well positioned so I wanted to get a few shots! Unfortunately when I tried to do this, all the resulting images were shaky. I tried on another target, M35 and M37 which are high up and they also come shaky. I’m not sure why but I suspect it could be due to the weight of my camera? (480g) and the motor of the mount. It’s a stock 6SE and it’s not that the tracking is not accurate enough as other targets come fine at around 8 seconds.

thanks!

When I saw the title of your thread I assumed you were imaging around the zenith and that you had some backlash in your mount as the usual tricks like loading it 'east heavy' doesnt solve backlash issues very well around the zenith.

I was surprised that you were talking about the Pleiades as its not that high in the sky - even though you are a lot further south than me - here its only reaches about 55º max.

So I am afraid I don't know what to suggest other than trying to wiggle the scope and all ancillaries about to see if anything is not quite as tight or well adjusted as it could be.

7 hours ago, Jojo204 said:

Hi all,

been having a great few previous weeks where the clear nights keep on coming! Having a lot of fun just observing! When it comes to imaging I had a few proper astrophotography sessions as mentioned in other topics and got some great (for my standard) M42 shots and a nice couple M31 Shots! However I have had the Pleiades on my checklist ever since I got my scope as it’s currently very well positioned so I wanted to get a few shots! Unfortunately when I tried to do this, all the resulting images were shaky. I tried on another target, M35 and M37 which are high up and they also come shaky. I’m not sure why but I suspect it could be due to the weight of my camera? (480g) and the motor of the mount. It’s a stock 6SE and it’s not that the tracking is not accurate enough as other targets come fine at around 8 seconds.

thanks!

Does your camera had a mirror lock option? 

Archived