NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Phone camera adapter

msacco

Hello, I'd like to get a simple adapter for my phone camera and saw this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Telescope-phone-adapter-For-Monocular-Phone-Adapter-Spotting-Scope-Telescopes-Universal-Mobile-Phone-Camera/32860708688.html? is that good enough? Does it make much difference which one I get? Anyone have it and can recommend it?

Thanks, and just pointing out that I'm not expecting amazing results etc, just taking some simple photos.

Yes, it makes a huge difference in my experience. 

Using a camera phone adapter depends to a critical degree on being able to get the camera exactly centred on the eyepiece; not only that, you need to get it at the right distance from the eyepiece. 

One like the one you have linked to, might be usable, but you'll need at least 4 hands to be able to get it lined up well and it's even trickier when you're doing it in the dark.  At a very basic level, you probably need a pair of fine movement controls to help get the centering right - so that you can make the fine adjustments with the camera being secured.

The Celestron NexYZ seems to be highly regarded as it has the fine controls mentioned, and also has an adjustment in the 3rd axis for the separation between the camera and eyepiece. 

13 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

Yes, it makes a huge difference in my experience. 

Using a camera phone adapter depends to a critical degree on being able to get the camera exactly centred on the eyepiece; not only that, you need to get it at the right distance from the eyepiece. 

One like the one you have linked to, might be usable, but you'll need at least 4 hands to be able to get it lined up well and it's even trickier when you're doing it in the dark.  At a very basic level, you probably need a pair of fine movement controls to help get the centering right - so that you can make the fine adjustments with the camera being secured.

The Celestron NexYZ seems to be highly regarded as it has the fine controls mentioned, and also has an adjustment in the 3rd axis for the separation between the camera and eyepiece. 

Thanks, but I'm not going to pay 55$ for that, do you have any other recommendations maybe of something you know is decent? I probably won't buy anything over 10$, as I only want it to try and use it at times, but its not really urgent enough to spend more atm. Thanks :)

I have this one, it works but is somewhat fragile (plastic flimsy screws) and my biggest gripe is, the eyepiece clamp doesn't open as much as i thought and i couldn't get it on my Lunt zoom eyepiece.

Universal-Cell-Phone-Adapter-Mount-Cellphone-Telescope-Adapter-Binocular-Monocular-Spotting-Scope-and-Microscope-for-All.jpg_640x640.jpg.jp2

38 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I have this one, it works but is somewhat fragile (plastic flimsy screws) and my biggest gripe is, the eyepiece clamp doesn't open as much as i thought and i couldn't get it on my Lunt zoom eyepiece.

Universal-Cell-Phone-Adapter-Mount-Cellphone-Telescope-Adapter-Binocular-Monocular-Spotting-Scope-and-Microscope-for-All.jpg_640x640.jpg.jp2

The attachment is not working?

It works, but if you have larger eyepieces you may want to look at another model, this clamp opens to a max 2 inches, even at max i have to force them onto my Explore Scientific 14mm eyepiece and it will not fit my Lunt zoom.

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

It works, but if you have larger eyepieces you may want to look at another model, this clamp opens to a max 2 inches, even at max i have to force them onto my Explore Scientific 14mm eyepiece and it will not fit my Lunt zoom.

My eyepieces are actually rather small, so I think it won't be a problem, you think I should get it then?

Have a look at the iOptron Universal Phone Adapter it comes with its own 10x ep, it works perfectly with my Samsung Note4 ! Here are a couple of examples through my Celestron 4se ! Price $70 Canadian !

07FDAF90-CA6B-435E-A641-EDE4B3E22AAB.jpeg

6D485775-08F8-4ED9-B7CE-724E5A0D93EC.jpeg

Archived