Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help on Nexstar goto star alignment

Hi all, I have a Nexstar 4SE Alt-Azm Goto scope. I've been using it for quite few years. Recently, there was a problem with Motor control board and Celestron suggested me to replace it with a new one. After installing a new MC board, when I try to use any star alignment method, I always end up getting "Align Failed" error.

Hand control is running on version 4.18 firmware and MC is on version 5.14. 
Thanks in advance!!

The motor control software looks the same version as mine. It should work.  I'd check that you plugged in the board cables in the right connectors. Just in case.

"Align failed" looks like a Skyalign (3 star) error which can happen for various reasons, like one of the chosen objects not being in the program's list because it's too faint.   I've never seen that with the 2-star alignments or the 1 star or the Solar System align which will happily deliver an result even if it's completely wrong.

It might be worth reflashing the hand controller firmware which could have got garbled when the MC board failed.

13 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

Have you tried reinstalling the MC firmware? The board and your hand control may be on different versions. Personally, I would reinstall both firmware to the latest version.

Thanks for the reply! The reason why I had to get a new MC board is because I tried to update MC firmware and it completely made my telescope a brick. I'm scared to do that again. But I have reflashed firmware in Hand Control though.

11 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

The motor control software looks the same version as mine. It should work.  I'd check that you plugged in the board cables in the right connectors. Just in case.

"Align failed" looks like a Skyalign (3 star) error which can happen for various reasons, like one of the chosen objects not being in the program's list because it's too faint.   I've never seen that with the 2-star alignments or the 1 star or the Solar System align which will happily deliver an result even if it's completely wrong.

It might be worth reflashing the hand controller firmware which could have got garbled when the MC board failed.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have tried to reflash the HC firmware too. I have even flashed older firmware version 4.13 still, it doesn't seem to work. Only two alignment that works are one star alignment and Solar system alignment.

7 hours ago, Annamalai said:

Only two alignment that works are one star alignment and Solar system alignment.

These align with what you are pointed at. I suggest you check/re-enter anything normally stored in the mount such as the latitude and longitude and time zone.

Archived