Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What to expect from a Sky-Watcher SWA-58-5

GKA

Hi guys,newbie here,i just recently bought a Sky-Watcer Startravel 120, and together With this i also bought the above mentioned eyepiece,it is also marked 

"WA Plossl 5mm Eyepiece" 

I also bought a Barlow x2.

Yesterday i aimed my startravel 120 against the moon to get a look,and i was a bit dissapointed.

The two Eyepieces that were in the kit,a super 10 and a super 25 showed Clear images,but not very big magnefication,even with the 2x Barlow lens attached.

But the big dissapointment was the  Sky-Watcher SWA-58-5 i was not able to get the image Sharp,and it looks like it may be dirt of some kind inside the lens,or is this just distorsion due to high magnefication?

Is this Eyepies suitable for moon watching,or is it better for Objects further out?

Hoping someone has some advice to share.

All the best from Norway.

Eyepiece.jpg

A 5mm eyepiece should give you 120x with your scope, which should be possible. Using the barlow, that is 240x which is pushing your scope to its upper limit. However, conditions make all the difference. Hazy conditions, or thermals, will play havoc with high magnification. It will be like looking at something underwater ... the image will be all wavy.

If it is dirt on the eyepiece, this will show up as black blotches on the image rather than failing to bring the image to focus.

Try it again, but on a bright star. It should be a pinpoint. If you cannot get that, then there is a focus problem or a manufacturing problem with this particular item. If you can get a pinpoint, then the eyepiece is ok and it would be the conditions.

Were you using the 5mm with the 2x barlow? If so you will have reduced the exit pupil to the size that you will be able to see the debris inside your eyeball, commonly called floaters. Even with the 5mm on it's own you might see this but the 10mm+2x barlow combination is effectively a 5mm eyepiece so you can compare the two. Focusing also gets more critical with shorter focal length eyepieces so it might just be a case of needing finer focusing control. 

In addition, the Startravel line of telescopes are not really intended for lunar or planetary observation. Both chromatic and spherical aberrations will be present which will blur the image most noticeably at high magnification. 

Hi,both of you,i will try Your advices and see what happens.

The conditions was a bit hazy and as for the dirt it may be "floaters" as mentioned.

I'll do some more testing and have Your  advices in mind.

Ricochet: I bought this Scope after Reading a lot of rewievs,wanting a beginner Scope,not needing to Upgrade to quickly.

It has got some good rewievs for  stargazing to ? although there is better (and more expensive) ones out there,which i might  buy if this New interest of mine takes off.

Thanks for Your replies ? 

9 minutes ago, GKA said:

Ricochet: I bought this Scope after Reading a lot of rewievs,wanting a beginner Scope,not needing to Upgrade to quickly.

It has got some good rewievs for  stargazing to ? although there is better (and more expensive) ones out there,which i might  buy if this New interest of mine takes off.

Yes, they are good scopes. I have considered one myself for wide field. 

Hi again, after my last post i set up my scope again,and found out that the end of two of my eyepieces were loose (the super 25 and the 5mm) and when i tighten them up  they were much better , hoping for a clear night so i can test them out.

Thanks for your advices ?

Archived