Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Hi everyone

Dusted off the Takumar 135 for this one as I missed the close approach yesterday which I had planned for the 200mm. After much juggling between landscape and portrait, just managed to fit both in frame. Maybe tonight with a 50mm lens...

Thanks for looking, clear skies and happy comet hunting:)

1288827382_46p-2(copy).thumb.jpg.3fd4efe56cf08cbd05477543dcbd1ce4.jpg

• Like 9

What did you use to process and did you use a two image process one stack for stars and the other for the comet?

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

What did you use to process

Hi. Siril for both stacking and processing. HTH

On 18/12/2018 at 11:18, happy-kat said:

one stack for stars and the other for the comet?

Hi

Ah, I think I now understand what you mean. If so, I think that would be good for a close up scientifically correct snap but for sheer look-nice factor I think the compromise between the comet and the stars works better. I suppose I could use layers to lift the comet onto a healed star background. As I'd dithered between frames I thought a sigma-clip would remove the stars anyway, but it hasn't:( Anyway, here we are aligned on the comet:

comet-aligned.thumb.jpg.bfeb5c829ed5ccb7ac540132987efd01.jpg

EDT** Mods: May I ask you leave this image for reference? It is in response to a question I was asked in this same thread. Iti s not meant to be a second entry to the competition.

TIA

Edited by alacant

I was curious as to how you had processed the image, which method you had used and what software (just learning about approaches other people use).

(Only one image on the thread for the challenge)

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Only one image

Thanks. Yes. I've clarified it but I've left a small version of the image that it may help others with the question you asked.

Cheers