SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Light Polluted EAA

Thalestris24

Had a go with my gpcam v1 mono on a SW Finder Guider last night with SharpCap Pro live stacking. The streetlight just outside tends to spoil everything :( Still I was encouraged by the few images I did get. The LP gradient could probably be processed out (if I had the skills and if I could be bothered!). A LP filter would likely help a bit but the local lp bleeds through even in 3.5nm narrowband so up I'm up against it with a sensitive camera just taking luminance...

Anyway, here you go - my first EAA images! For the first few, I used flats but not darks - mistake! But I took some darks for the others :)

M1 15x18s

M1_15x18s_NoDarks.thumb.jpg.e3a0df5d15e01be8ff52c94b76a42fd9.jpg

Coma Cluster 65 x 10s (can just about make out some faint fuzzies - just!)

ComaCluster_65x10s.thumb.jpg.7cbeecffe68531f4cb5875133bb4d82c.jpg

M3 100x10s

M3_100X10s.thumb.jpg.06a3f523b45a7ef72e3c117eb8353f81.jpg

Needle Galaxy 115x10.8s - can just about see it! :)      

Needle_115x10_8s.thumb.jpg.7dcbbdbac40406363275cc0fd1bfc5f2.jpg

Louise

Well done, I found my finder guider really good for Ha captures of large emission nebulae, also renders the light pollution largely impotent (except for bright street lights). When I was in a more light polluted area and had three street lights within 60 feet of me I used homemade portable light shields,  which I would place so as to obscure the street lights when imaging. It worked extremely effectively, highly recommended. ?

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

Well done, I found my finder guider really good for Ha captures of large emission nebulae, also renders the light pollution largely impotent (except for bright street lights). When I was in a more light polluted area and had three street lights within 60 feet of me I used homemade portable light shields,  which I would place so as to obscure the street lights when imaging. It worked extremely effectively, highly recommended. ?

Thanks, it was just a tryout really. The guider is on my 80mm f6 and I want to move over to doing some eaa with that.  can then continue using the guider for its prime purpose :). Unfortunately the offending street lamp is only about 30ft away and the height of the lamp itself is only a little below the level of the scope which is in my flat... I just have to make do! 

Louise

Archived