NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC691 Group

petevasey

This has proved a real struggle and a bit of a disappointment.  Those who live in the North of the UK know what lousy weather we've been having over the last month or so.  For me,only 3 opportunities for imaging.  Anyway I first attempted this on 14th November.  Started out beautifully clear only to cloud over after a couple of hours.  Made a fresh start on 3rd December when I managed 6 Luminance and 3 each RGB subs before the clouds arrived.  Then last night (10th) it was forecast to be clear all night.  Nope!  But I started as soon as it was dark and did get a similar batch of subs before the clouds arrived around 10.30 pm.  Cleared for a little while and I started another target, but it clouded over again.  So I packed it in and started processing.  Sod's law it cleared again around 1.30 am, but I'd had enough by then ?

Luminance 13 x 20 minutes unbinned, RGB each 6 x 10 minutes binned 2x2.  QSI683 on Meade 127 (950mm fl) with TSFlat2 and SX AO unit.  With that much data I'd hoped to get good detail and colour, but the seeing was never that good and there was always thin high haze.  So a bit lacking in contrast etc.  Enough precious time spent on a tricky subject - I've got something brighter and easier for the next opportunity!

There was an absolutely superb image of the Crescent nebula NGC 6888 posted on the QSI group yesterday.  Here  Worth a look, and you will see Barry had no less than 52 hours of data!  I wish!!

Added later after updating my web page.  There is a medium sized 'mouseover' with names of several objects here, and the full size image - numerous unnamed tiny faint galaxies here.

NGC691group.jpg

I imaged this last year Peter and came to the same conclusion. Underwhelming and nowhere near the data required. I gave it up as a bad job. I've also had a gander at the Crescent ? Exceptional image. Barry must have superb skies. I may get a comparative image with around 500 hours and a genius to process it :)

Steve

Thanks for your interest, Steve.

If you like galaxy groups, there's one I captured in 2016 - the area around NGC90.  I'd seen it on Adam Block's site and decided to have a go.  A lot more going on than in the 691 group.  My effort and details here, including a link to Adam's image.  It's possible around now if you're interested.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks for that Peter. Looks interesting and certainly worth an imaging session with the trusty Tal. It will not be this year as I'm not imaging until the New Year. So it may be on the back burner until NGC90 is in a favourable position for my skies.

Steve

Archived