Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Image of Mars & Neptune in close proximity

Nothing to go "Wow" about with my image, but just though I'd share my planetary image of Mars & Neptune taken tonight in the same FOV. I only just managed to capture Neptune at the top of the frame but got it nontheless. Glad to have some clear sky for a change and it's been a while imaging planets instead of attempting DSO's and failing miserably most of the time ?

Mars_Neptune_07122018_Drizzle3.jpg

Good capture. I almost forgot about this conjunction, but remembered as they were getting low in the SW around 9:30pm. Set my 15x70s on a tripod as I couldn't make Neptune out hand held. As you say, windy conditions but I saw them both, with Neptune below and to the right of Mars. Geof

Thank you all. As you pointed out Geof, Neptune was to the bottom right of Mars, I should have flipped the image. To the other Geoff, yes you are correct. I used the ED80 with the Neximage camera attached. I took 1000 frames x2, one run with fairly low gain and 1/360 exposures and for Neptune i increased to full gain with 1/2sec exposures, stacked 50 frames of each and then layered them. I didn't adjust colours or anything else.

Archived