Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planispheres: recommended?

First of all, I love Amazon.com! (No affiliation) Anyway, I've got a few books coming that I'm excited to receive in the next couple of days. Whilst browsing through their website I stumbled across a planisphere and thought "what a novel idea!" Often I find the reference material of books to be a little off as they're only accurate (exact) at a specific time, then you need to 'adjust' them a bit to match the sky.

I'd like to know if any of you seasoned veterans use them and which you might recommend? I'm moderately comfortable with my knowledge of the constellations, but I'm sure these make them all that much easier to recognize. I'm wondering if they're really all that useful too, if one is looking in a book anyway to locate objects? Would you use one in conjunction with a good sky chart, or would it gather dust in favor of the sky chart?

I will second that thought Planispheres are fine in daylight hours but a total nightmare in the dark bearing in mind you will only be using a red light . Stellarium is a superb piece of software which I have on my laptop to view alongside my scope ( set to dark mode of course ) but if you preffer to use charts then may i reccomend another free software download which is Cartes du Ceil this will allow you to produce star charts for your exact location for any time you choose with the ability to show any DSO's or other astronomical target you may wish to see give them a try you will find them a god send in your observing regards Pete

I regularly use the Philips Planisphere to plan a night's observing. You can set it for whatever date / time you will start observing and then just wind it round to see what constellations will be rising and setting throughout the session. You can also wind it round month by month to familiarise yourself with the way the night sky changes with the seasons. Finding planets using the planisphere is a bit trickier but it does work surprisingly well. The computerised versions do all this for you and also tell you where the moon will be.

I often use a Philips Planisphere to see what constellations are up, before going to more detailed maps. Under red light it can be difficult to see until

your eyes are dark adapted. It is also relatively cheap and portable. Also good if you are only going for a short session.

phillc :wave:

Same as phillc. I like a planisphere cos its completely portable, uses no power, simple to use ( once you get the hang of it ), light weight, dont have to worry if its gets broken cos it only cost a few quid.

Mines the Phillips one and my only whinge is its a bit hard to read under ared light but its a useful little bit of kit for sure.

Programs are all very well, but it's even more of a hassle to use one of them in outside in the dark than a planisphere! Sometimes you might find yourself outside without a plan (ahem!) as to what to look at. A planisphere will quickly tell you what constellations are good to view until you know them better.

I keep one handyin my observing case and when I find myself wondering how to navigate a new area of sky, I can familiarise myself with the main stars of the constellations in that area using the planisphere.

As I slowly learn the constellations of the seasons, I'm using it less and less because I only have to look upwards to orientate myself, but at the start it was very useful.

Andrew

Very good smattering of replies all! I'll be taking a bit out of each of those and applying them I think. Just got my order from Amazon (including Turn Left @ Orion and The Backyard Astronomer's Guide among others) so I'm off to geekify for a few evenings. The planisphere is definitely on my hit list for the next order...

Jamie

P.S. Astro, you still waiting for that SWA zoom? Should've been in your hands by now, no?

Archived