SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is this a good deal?

I know, I disappeared for a few weeks. But I had very good reasons - family, academia, and a lot of flu episodes.

Anyhoo, I bought a 12" Meade SCT a month ago, but upon inspection, I discovered it had fungus on the primary. The seller kindly agreed to take it back and refund me. That also showed me that I didn't have enough room for such a big scope. So, reluctantly, I decided to settle for an 8" SCT for the time being until I have managed to, possibly, build a little observatory or an observing spot. 

I've been speaking to this gentleman and he has this 8" SCT for £800. https://www.gumtree.com/p/telescopes/meade-lx90-telescope-and-accessories-/1321324582  

I believe it's a fair deal, what do you guys think? 

Just now, emadmoussa said:

How it does perform on DSOs, if you don't mind me asking?

Well obviously at f10 you will only get the smallest in full, but it performs very well, I have even autoguided mine with 15 min subs having it mounted on a wedge with piggybacked guide scope..I use mainly at f6.3 using a Meade focal reducer / flattener..

Great for galaxies too though.. :)

29 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

I know, I disappeared for a few weeks. But I had very good reasons - family, academia, and a lot of flu episodes.

Never even noticed ?................Welcome back and hope all the germs are history.

Do you need a tripod/mount etc or is it jut the OTA you are after?  My one concern would be the need for a wedge to image DSO's, which this doesn't have by the looks of it.  You'll struggle to image them without one, and certainly at f/10.

You would probably want to factor in another £70 or so for a used FR/FF for imaging, but they do come up fairly often on ABS.

1 minute ago, RayD said:

Never even noticed ?................Welcome back and hope all the germs are history.

Do you need a tripod/mount etc or is it jut the OTA you are after?  My one concern would be the need for a wedge to shoot DSO's, which this doesn't have by the looks of it.  You'll struggle to image them without one, and certainly at f/10.

You would probably want to factor in another £70 or so for a used FR/FF for imaging, but they do come up fairly often on ABS.

Oh, no, I'm only a visual observer. Will be just getting a focal reducer and an extra wide angle eyepiece, 15-20mm maybe. 

1 hour ago, emadmoussa said:

Oh, no, I'm only a visual observer. Will be just getting a focal reducer and an extra wide angle eyepiece, 15-20mm maybe. 

If you have a 2 inch visual back and a 2 inch widefield EP you'll reach the max FOV without the focal reducer.

Olly

Archived