Getting back into stargazing

Vette

Back in the seventies as a young kid I spent all night long out viewing the Stars. I have a pretty good knowledge and knew how to do most of what I had in equipment. Late in my teens just had no time then early 20s marriage working raising a family I totally lost track. I've always tried to watch documentaries and try to read the keep myself up to date as I just love astronomy so much.

About 5 years ago my dad bought me I Meade four 4 and 1/2 inch telescope garage sale.

2 years ago I decided I needed to start using it I pulled out all the lenses and purchase better quality. Started taking pictures with an SLDR. Had semi-good overall. I have now purchased

ASI120MC clone recommended to me by a gentleman at the planetarium. My issue is Tuesday what is my area is very bright lot of light pollution. My other issue is I have never truly figured out how to get my scope to track properly. The Meade model Auto star 497. I forgot more than I remember. So hate to say I am kind of lost. I need to figure out how to get the tracking properly. Please be patience I'm now 55 years old so I'm still young enough to learn.

Here what i was getting with the sldr. 

PSX_20180521_210845.jpg

Welcome to SGL.

You should find the Internet a source of guidance for your old equipment. Have you a manual for the mount/telescope? I have come acros this which seems to refer more to the hand controller than the rest of the gear but may help with setting up-

https://telescopereviewer.com/meade-autostar-497-depth-review/

Best to get confident again using the mount and telescope visually before attempting imaging. Having said that the ASI120 should be simple to operate if you have a laptop. Living in a heavily light polluted area need not be a problem when imaging bright objects such as the Moon and planets.

Every good wish for the future.
Steve

Archived