NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focus issue post cleaning

Just given my dob a test run following cleaning the primary mirror. I can’t get stars into focus. They appear stretched out vertically coming to the focus point and then stretch out horizontally as it passes the focus point. I’ve obviously not got it back together quite right. I did struggled a bit with collimating the secondary. Does this sound like bad collimation on the secondary? Or is there another explanation? Any suggestions appreciated! 

All sorted. I had no idea that the primary should be able to move under the clips. Every day is a school day :) Although my first thought when I saw what was happening through the eyepiece was “pinched optics” so I’ve obviously read enough that something triggered in my brain. 

Got some more practise at collimating the secondary too. I think I’ve got a better understanding of that now too. 

Thanks again for everyone’s help. It took a lot of stress and worry out of the situation. Dew heaters on. Scope cooling again. Time to wrap up and get out there!

Clear skies!

Officially back in business. Great couple of hours. Comet 38P, NGC 2392 (Eskimo Nebula), NGC2301 (Hagred’s   Dragon) and NGC2169 (37 cluster). NGC2158 next to M35 is neat. I thought it was a Nebula at first look. Got the E star in the trapezium. First look at M78 of the year. M81/M82 looking lovely now they’re a bit higher in the sky. M82 close up was particularly good. Few other classics like the Beehive and M67. Feeling quite relieved after the earlier issues.

Archived