NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LIGO Results controversy

SteveBz

Apparently the Danes, in the form of the Niels Bohr Institute, are questioning the LIGO results.

index.thumb.jpeg.fed2d2f91c612a353b58011573b34b95.jpeg

This is the graph of signal vs noise.  Top line is signal, bottom line is noise. It's even worse than Crawley's street lights!

index2.thumb.jpeg.6a19c49398b633f53319287d0005b4e7.jpeg

I guess they took their flats, darks and biases, but even with Deep Sky Stacker 4 or Registax6, it would be a challenge. Especially with only two light frames per shot!

They could have splashed out on PixInsight or MaximDL, but then there's only so much you can do with $900 million.  Sigh.

Will be interesting to read the full article, but the key thing is that 'irrelevant frequencies have been removed'.

That's very different to noise removal. I'm sure the radio waves that go into an SDR or digital radio compared to the single channel audio that comes out bear a similar relationship.

I'm sticking with believing the LIGO boys and girls. I think the fact that the waveforms produced matched theory, were detected at multiple sites and the fact that they coincided exactly with genuine events visible in other frequencies is all too much evidence to support them being genuine. I cannot begin to comprehend how they did it, but it counts as one of the most significant discoveries in my lifetime I think.

Archived