NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ebay still selling those ghastly "Sun filters"

Pete Presland

So disappointing to see EBay selling those dodgy Sun filters still. Some of the companies are advising the use of other filters, such as the Baader film, others jumbled messages about "bard" film, using at sunset/rise, limiting to 15 seconds use? Danger of explosion.....?!

EBay really should be doing more to stop these, its not first SGL members have reported and made them aware of the potential problems with this type of filter.

I have reported quite a few of the listings, but have also messaged them publicly on Twitter to see if I can get a response. With Christmas coming up these definitely don't want to end up as stocking fillers!

I contacted a Ebay seller last year who was selling a typical 1970's 60mm refractor with a eyepiece sun filter in the kit. He  was non astro minded and was unaware of the danger,he thanked me and said he'd leave it in kit but warn the buyer.

Archived