Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Evoguide 50ED to DSLR

Have just hit the buy button on the Skywatcher Evoguide 50 and was wondering would I be able to attach my D7100 to it to use it as a widefiled scope?

I have a Nikon>T2 adapter that I use with my Baader Coma Corrector, so that slots into the 2" focuser tube, but notive it mentions the 1.25" conection and am a might confused.  Have been trying to find some tech drawings of the scope but have not turned up anything yet.

Cheers

Apart from the question of mechanical connection you'd need to think about the size of the optically corrected circle of this little scope. I would be amazed if it could correctly cover more than the central part of your chip but who knows?

Olly

Well,  it arrived early in teh week, but not had a chance to play yet due to working silly hours.

Have managed to get it attached to my T2>Nikon adapter and mounted.  Have to unscrew the 1.25" adapter for this.

Here are a couple of test images taken earlier  today.  The first is at standard DX image size and the second is with the built in 1.3 crop

578269993_EvoguideTestImageDX.thumb.jpg.3dd55f60638b34d1bfd63d234f40703c.jpg805264596_EvoguideTestImage.thumb.jpg.60e8334ee1168b8f2584f689584d8ebc.jpg

As can be seen, sensor is covered and looks ok to my eyes.  Will more than likley shoot at the cropped ratio with this.

All I need now is for the horizontal rain to stop and the skies to clear so I can have a trial on this and see how it performs.  Am goingot be working nights next week, so if it is clear have a great opportunity to grab some data under some very dark skieI

I have used mine with  canon 1100d at night.

DSLR flange focal distance for:

Canon 44mm

Nikon 46.5

The back focus available on the ED50 is give or take 60mm from my testing using a diagonal (or rather not being able to use a diagonal).

44mm Canon, 3mm t mount 10mm t ring, 4 mm of focus travel for infinity.

There is very noticeable star distortion away from the centre, so a field flattener would be good, but I don't think there is the back focus available to use one with a mirrored DSLR.

More information can be found here about testing with a diagonal on DRT's thread:

link here

Archived