Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

zwo asi120mm usb 3.0 vs SVBONY Color Astronomy Camera CMOS

TheMan

I was looking to get the ZWO asi120mm usb 3.0 mono camera, but stumbled along the SVBONY Color Astronomy Camera CMOS. It is significantly cheaper than the ZWO camera and they have very similar specs. Apart from this camera being Color and not Mono, are there any major differences that should still make me buy the ZWO camera?

I've not had much experience imaging with mono cameras, I use my ASI120mm as a guide camera but I may well end up getting a filter wheel for it to do some planetary imaging in the future... From what I've read a mono camera will give you much better images if you are using the right filters... A colour camera makes it easier to take pictures as you only have to take one set of light frames rather than 3 or 4 with different filters... 

I'm no expert though so I'm sure others will have some helpful advice as well :) 

Clear skies!

I have an ASI120MC and a Touptec mono which uses the same chip (which is supposed to be marginally better than the different chip used in the ASI120MM).

Colour images done with the ZWO look as good as RGB done with the Touptec, it seems to give a brighter image (requiring about half the exposure) and I find it can hit higher frame rates.

I have no  experience of the Svbony, but it's clear to me taht teh imaging chip is not eth full story.

Archived