NGC7000+IC5067 3nm Ha mosaic

MartinFransson

Tried some more Ha imaging last night since that darn moon was out. Turns out the Astrodon 3nm filter worked lite a charm on areas of strong Ha signal!

Here is a quick edit mosaic I managed to put together. Two panes, 24 + 32 subs of 5 minutes each.

No calibration frames, just stacked the lights. ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool @-15 + Sigma 500/4.5 EX lens. I am surprised at how clean the data is with only 24 and 32 frames.

Hoping to add O3 and some RGB when the moon is away.

Hope you enjoy

MergeMosaic24-32x5min_Ha_edit_v2.jpg

30 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice image Martin, great detail and so smooth.. wondering what gain and offset settings you use...

Dave

Thanks Dave! Was pleasantly surprised myself at how smooth the data is with only 24 and 32 frames each pane. The strong Ha signal in this region helps of course plus the Astrodon 3nm filter keeps all light pollution away.

I use unity gain (139 is it?). Don´t know about the offset, I guess it´s 0 when using unity gain. 

Thanks Martin, I’ve been using unity gain too for Ha and Oiii at 300s through Astrodon 5nm filters with my f7 Esprit 150. Ok in high signal areas but blotchy in weak areas.  Your images are much smoother than mine, maybe it’s the faster system. Other concurrent threads on SGL have suggested using 200 or 250 gain 50 offset (if I remember correctly) if this happens with NB.. I will try this next time out..

Dave

2 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Thanks Martin, I’ve been using unity gain too for Ha and Oiii at 300s through Astrodon 5nm filters with my f7 Esprit 150. Ok in high signal areas but blotchy in weak areas.  Your images are much smoother than mine, maybe it’s the faster system. Other concurrent threads on SGL have suggested using 200 or 250 gain 50 offset (if I remember correctly) if this happens with NB.. I will try this next time out..

Dave

Yes, f/4.5 is a lot faster than f/7. I´ve found the 3nm Ha-data a lot cleaner than the 7 nm. However with OIII I only have the 7 nm and I see some of the effects you mention. Haven´t had time to try it more than once, though :)

Archived