Cygnus Loop in Ha and Ha + OSC with homebuilt scope

Stub Mandrel

The colours are a bit wild, so this needs more work, but last night's Ha was so much better than I expected I thought I would share this anyway!

Considering it was a 97% moon it shows it is worth doing Ha with a DSLR - Pickering's Triangle was barely visible in the OSC-only shots, let alone all the fainter bits.

1631634605_VeilHa.thumb.png.c20978dfc2eb1fd84bf28037d862d4d3.png

1973820436_VeilHaOSC.thumb.png.00a04bb7b5b44e18168078ba251dc4dd.png

20 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's just Ha as about 60-70% of the luminance layer.

I had to slightly scale it as I'd added a spacer to the flattener to get round stars in the corners so alignment was a bit of a struggle.

Thanks.  I find that my image looks pale pink but excessively bright when I add a lum layer over the OSC image.  I'll try it at 60-70% :D

Nice job. Just need to add to the data to smooth it out a bit. 

I find using ha as luminance just washes out the colour and leaves you with a pink image. I do find that i can add it in at maybe 10-20% before that happens, watch your stars tho as it can have a negative impact. If you're using photoshop this is a great method. http://bf-astro.com/tutorial/addHa.htm

On 24/09/2018 at 12:55, tooth_dr said:

Thanks.  I find that my image looks pale pink but excessively bright when I add a lum layer over the OSC image.  I'll try it at 60-70% :D

Add it to the red channel only instead. Blend mode "Lighten" in Photoshop. First split the channels, add the Ha to the red and then recombine them again.

Archived