Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equipment hardly used

Tenby2

On 04/01/2020 at 12:49, Tenby2 said:

I bought a 8SE in the meantime and managed to some observing last week. I forgot just how cold you get. Also how prone to vibrations the 8SE mount is. 

Any suggestions to help stop this? I will buy suppression pads for the tripod, there are so many out there, with prices varying from £15-£80 I wonder if there's really a great deal of difference justifying the prices! 

And how much they will help stop the vibrations. 

That is what a C8 atop a 8SE mount is like. 😕

The price you pay for having a setup that you can pick up in one lump, carry outdoors and put down ready to use is that it's a bit wobbly.  Antivibration pads may ameliorate the situation but not much.  The best you can do is avoid touching it and setting off a vibration. 😕

The Evolution version with the C8 appears to have the same lightweight tripod.  The CPC800 variant has a heavy duty tripod and a heavy fork mount, and is an order of magnitude more stable. Compared with the SE it's like the scope is mounted on concrete. But the OTA/mount assembly is not readily splittable and weighs about 20Kgs, and it takes some time to erect it and reassemble all the accessories removed for safety.