Triple Double In Pegasus - Easy, Harder, Very Hard

cloudsweeper

Nice to see a fairly clear sky again, and Vega putting in an appearance as early as 8.20.  Saturn and Mars were too low for decent viewing, then further alignment of the 8SE was thwarted by a dodgy RDF, so over to the Dob.

From Markab, an easy hop to a triangle of stars, all within one degree of field, and each of the three being a double:

O Sigma Sigma 241 - matched, 84" - very clear and easy at x35.

Sigma 2958 - 3.9" - up to x144 to get to see the faint companion star.

52 Peg - the brightest of the three, a close match, 0.5" - as expected, no split, quite a challenge to do this.

To finish, I just aimed the Bresser at the Andromeda Galaxy and then the Double Cluster - both easy to locate, and a pleasure to dwell on.

Over two hours well spent!

Doug.

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

Well spent indeed. I guess 52 would take 480+ magnification, which in turn would require very good conditions. 

Yes, DP.  0.5 degrees is really pushing it.  Figures vary, but well over x300 anyway, depending on the target and certainly on the seeing.

Doug.

8 minutes ago, domstar said:

Sounds great. You always make me want to get a double star atlas.

Do it, Dom!  The Sissy Haas book has very good descriptions, but the Cambridge DSA has excellent, helpful charts, showing doubles and other objects.  Opens up a whole new world of observing!

Doug.

Archived