Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Settings for SXVr-M26C

nedstark

Hi everybody,

irecently purchased a SXVR-M26C and am having a hard time getting decent images from it  

I don’t know if it’s tge capture or processing ( or both) where I’m going wrong but I have loads of questions that someone out thee may have the answer to:

1. I can’t seem to find any control settings for gain and offset - not in SX’s own software nor SGP or Nebulosity. Consequently gain and offset are both zero. Is this right? There is no control?

2. Stacking in DSS results in images with almost no colour. I have worked out the Bayer matrix pattern -daytime shots work out with correct colour  I’m using Bilinear interpolation, align RGB channels and black set point =0 in DSS’s RAW/FITS settings but very thin spikes in the DSS histogram  compared to my old DSLR  what am I doing wrong?

Any thought would be much spppreciated

Thanks

13 minutes ago, nedstark said:

I can’t seem to find any control settings for gain and offset

Thats normal for a CCD, there is no adjustment for gain and offset, the pixel well data from a CCD is not modified in any way unlike that from a CMOS detector that you find in a DSLR which uses amplifiers between the pixel wells and the A to D convertor.

You might find an adjustment called 'Pedestal' in your capture software, this allows the inclusion of a kind of 'offset' to the captured data so that when images are calibrated by subtraction you can never end up with negative values. The pedestal value is added in the capture software though, it is not part of the camera circuitry and is normally in the region of +100 ADU, some capture programs allows the pedestal to be manually changed to suit certain applications, some are fixed by the software's author and are invisible to the end user.

25 minutes ago, nedstark said:

Stacking in DSS results in images with almost no colour

Again, this is normal for DSS with a colour CCD, increase the colour saturation by modifying the saturation value in DSS and apply it before exporting the image to your post processing program or adjust the saturation value in your post processing program. 

When adjusting the saturation of an unmodified DSS output image in external image processing programs such as Photoshop or Paint you may need more than one iteration of the saturation boost tool before the colour intensity increases, if you modify and apply the saturation setting in DSS before export then you won't need to apply multiple iterations of saturation boost outside of DSS and smaller 'tweaks' to the colour saturation and balance will be all that is required.

On 02/09/2018 at 12:17, Oddsocks said:

Thats normal for a CCD, there is no adjustment for gain and offset, the pixel well data from a CCD is not modified in any way unlike that from a CMOS detector that you find in a DSLR which uses amplifiers between the pixel wells and the A to D convertor.

On some CCDs you can adjust the gain and offset. I'm using a qhy10 osc ccd and I had to work out the optimal gain and offset for it.

On 06/09/2018 at 20:34, emyliano2000 said:

On some CCDs you can adjust the gain and offset. I'm using a qhy10 osc ccd and I had to work out the optimal gain and offset for it.

Yes. I almost bought a QHY10 so did come across this ability in the reading I did. The SXVR-M26c came along at a bargain price so I opted to but it and was very surprised to find no gain or offset adjustment. 

Thought I must be missing something. 

Archived