astrophotography

Greetings, I have always be into astronomy and had various telescopes in the past. Sadly my health issues have worsen in the past two years so I am unable to stand for long periods of time. My other telescopes I gave to my nephews years ago as they were amazed by what they saw and now they too are keen on astronomy. Anyway I recently bought a light telescope so I can use it in my room I got a Celestron AstroMaster 70 and now I wish to do astrophotography. I have been doing some research into what telescope camera to buy and many recommend Celestron 93711 NexImage 5 Solar System Imager. My question is will this fit into my Celestron AstroMaster 70? I hear that the software can be a bit complex to use but I use photoshop and seen tutorials on youtube and it looks fairly straight forward.

Many thanks for any advice/answers.

Hi @Unkown Error and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I have not tried either myself, but many light-years ago I did attach webcam to my TeleVue Ranger. You will have to manually track the object or need a mount that can track the object you are viewing, i.e. SkyWatcher Star Adventurer may work or a GEM/EQ.

Other SGL'er's will give you more advice than I can as astrophotography is a steep learning curve. I recommend that look at @rorymultistorey (a.k.a 'Astrobiscuit' on youtube) for ideas on a budget.

Yes the NexImager 5 will fit into the Celestron AstroMaster 70 diagonal as it is made to take 1.25" eyepieces and that is what the NexImage 5 is made to work with.

As far as software is concerned... as with most things, they can be daunting at first, but with practise you will get comfortable with it with experience.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your imaging sessions.

Hi, UE, & welcome to SGL.

This camera will do exactly what it says on the tin ... image things in the solar system (moon & planets). Don't think about DSOs (galaxies, nebulae) with it. As Philip said, your main issue is going to be tracking the object. Basically, these cameras take a video which you can then process, extracting the best frames, to get a final image that is better than any of them. This is done automatically in programs like Registax (free download). But you do need to capture sufficient frames. The software is very good at tracking the planet IF it does not move too dramatically within the frame.

Archived