Guidescope rings

1 minute ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Why do guidescope rings have adjustment screws? why isn't bolting it to a dovetail in the right size rings enough, the same as you do with a main scope. 

On the off chance there isn't a bright enough guide start in the guide scope FOV. Easier to shift it around a bit directionally. 

I can see why the above comment may be true, but I've been using my guide scope fixed for the last few years and haven't had an occasion when it's been a problem for guiding on my Altair 60mm guider I'm using this Altair MiniGuider 60 Guide Scope Clamp with Stalk and Universal Base which is fixed.

I agree with wetwalker, avoid all chances of the guidescope moving with respect to the main ota.

Guiding these days involves micron sensitivity, so think how much a guidescope in adjustable rings can move as the mount moves, meridian flip, etc.

Michael 

Just bolt it down hard. Guidescope rings are a thing of the past. The idea has sprung up in recent years that they are there to let you centre the guidescope on the main scope. In truth their real purpose was just the opposite - to let you hunt for a guidestar off axis if necessary.

If you have bad PA and an off axis guidestar you'll get field rotation around the guidestar's position - but the same is true for an on-axis guidestar!

Olly

Archived