Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt at NGC7000

Hi all,

Here's my first attempt at NGC7000.
This is about 2hrs worth of subs with a range of different ISOs and exposure lengths. I'm still trying to work out what combination works best for the 1000D.
Stacked in DSS and somewhat badly processed in photoshop!

Unmodded 1000D
Skywatcher 80ED Pro
HEQ5
Guided with 50mm scope, ASI120mm and PHD2
Darks and bias frames but no flats.

I'm trying to pluck up the courage to astromod the 1000D as I believe it will help on targets like this, but I do intend to get a dedicated mono astro camera at the end of the year. Probably a 1600MM if I can afford it.
How much of a difference would I see with a modded camera on a target like this?

Cheers, Matt

176078488_NGC7000.-2018-08-16_3jpg.thumb.jpg.2c38177018b9d92b2c81741fef79ff34.jpg

1 hour ago, evil_yoda said:

How much of a difference would I see with a modded camera on a target like this?

You've captured a good amount of red with the unmodded camera. Difficult to quantify exactly the scale of improvement a modified camera has. For comparison, here is the NAN taken last year with my DIY modified 1000D. 21 subs @ 240secs ISO1600, through UHC filter.

NAN4.jpg

15 minutes ago, evil_yoda said:

Did you remove both the filters in your camera?

Hi Matt,

No just the IR cut filter as described by Gary Honis : http://dslrmodifications.com/rebelmod450d1.html

I didn't replace the filter with anything as the camera is only used for AP, though a quick test showed autofocus still seemed to work well.

If you do ahead with a DIY mod something that isn't often recommended but I found invaluable was to take a photo of the various cables and connectors before disconnection. That way it is much easier to tell if the cable is correctly inserted when the camera is reassembled.

Don't ignore flats - they can make a big difference and are easy to take. Dithering is also a great way of reducing noise if you're not already doing this with your very capable setup.

Bob

1 hour ago, bobro said:

Hi Matt,

No just the IR cut filter as described by Gary Honis : http://dslrmodifications.com/rebelmod450d1.html

I didn't replace the filter with anything as the camera is only used for AP, though a quick test showed autofocus still seemed to work well.

If you do ahead with a DIY mod something that isn't often recommended but I found invaluable was to take a photo of the various cables and connectors before disconnection. That way it is much easier to tell if the cable is correctly inserted when the camera is reassembled.

Don't ignore flats - they can make a big difference and are easy to take. Dithering is also a great way of reducing noise if you're not already doing this with your very capable setup.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'll only be using this camera for astro work, so this sounds like the way to go.
Good idea with taking photos of the connectors though, I'll certainly be doing that.

I did get the dithering working properly on the last session and it does seem to make quite a difference to the noise when the images are stacked. Flat are definitely next on the list!

Thanks for the help.

Matt

16 minutes ago, Obi Wan Ken00bi said:

Great image! Really like the field of view of the ed80 and your framing!

In took this two weeks ago with a one shot color ccd (QHY8L) for reference. About an hour and a half exposure at 1000mm f5. I did use a CLS filter to get rid of some light pollution in the area

Thanks for that. Lot's of nice detail in there.
I've not dabbled in any LP filters yet.

I think a dedicated astro camera  (probably mono) will be on the agenda before too long. :)

3 hours ago, evil_yoda said:

Thanks for that. Lot's of nice detail in there.
I've not dabbled in any LP filters yet.

I think a dedicated astro camera  (probably mono) will be on the agenda before too long. :)

Nice! I went osc just because the whole setup is already so complicated and I need to make the most out of my time in the field (so taking 4 x 5 minutes exposures to create a single sub is not always the best thing for me). But mono is undoubtably the ultimate experience ? good luck and clear skies mate. 

Archived