SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A mount for EvoStar

Hairy Gazer

Are you getting the Evostar 150 F/8 or the Evostar 150ED F/8 ?

I'm asking because the non-ED version is supplied with the EQ5 mount, sometimes, but the 150ED is supplied as a bare tube assembly only.

The Skytee II will hold either of them. I have been using the Giro Ercole mount to hold the 150ED(s) that I have been testing recently. Neither mount would be as steady as the AZEQ6 that Mark links to above and neither have GOTO or a drive system. They do hold the scopes well enough for visual observing, as long as they are on a good solid tripod.

I agree that the EQ5 is a bit on the lightside for these scopes in stock form, but, again, change the tripod and it does do a reasonable job, for visual.

42 minutes ago, Hairy Gazer said:

I was thinking about the AZ4 Alt Az with steel tripod, but not sure whether it would hold the weight of the Evo

I'm afraid not. The AZ-4 is decent with short, light scopes but is not enough for even my ED120 let alone an F/8 150 (ED or otherwise). 6 inch F/8 refractors are a lot larger and heavier than 120mm F/7.5's:

P1080684.JPG

P1080683.JPG

Archived