Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TV 101 rear lens cell removal

Tiki

I need to remove the rear lens cell on my TV 101 in order to give it a clean. There are appears to be a couple of spots of mould/ fungus on the rear element.

It looks as though everything should simply unscrew once I have removed the grub screws (see photos). Is this indeed the case?

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

Oh my! Nerves of steel for that operation!

Forgive me if necessary, please, but are you sure about doing this and are you sure of your ability?

Certainly, it would scare the hell out of me ... ??

I hope others can help with a more constructive reply. ?

EDIT: Below is an excerpt from the manual for my 102 regarding collimation - an older scope but very similar:

“With reasonable care it will remain aligned. However, rough handling can cause misalignment. WARNING: Do not loosen the button head screws in the front lens cell as this will cause misalignment. If necessary, contact Tele Vue for re-collimation.

I have had a Genesis in the past and believe I did remove the rear cell by unscrewing it. I also think the rear doublet is cemented so not likely to lose alignment in the same way that the front cell might. I did have to take the front off mine too which was much more scary!

If you proceed, I would maybe treat it as a two person job and keep the scope vertical, focuser downwards and unscrew carefully and slowly!!

2 minutes ago, Floater said:

Oops, got my cells mixed up! Sorry.

Power to you!

No apologies needed, proceed with caution must be the order of the day!!

The TV102 though is a standard doublet rather than the Genesis/TV101 etc which are Petzvals with the rear doublet flattener reducer element.

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

If you proceed, I would maybe treat it as a two person job and keep the scope vertical, focuser downwards and unscrew carefully and slowly!!

Thanks Stu, that sounds like some good practical advice.

I just have to summon the necessary courage!

30 minutes ago, Tiki said:

Thanks Stu, that sounds like some good practical advice.

I just have to summon the necessary courage!

Perhaps wait to see if someone else contributes to the thread with either confirmation or otherwise. A few days patience won't do any harm!

4 hours ago, Stu said:

The TV102 though is a standard doublet rather than the Genesis/TV101 etc which are Petzvals with the rear doublet flattener reducer element.

Every day is a classroom.? Thanks, Stu. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies.

For reference, this was a very easy job. Everything unscrewed easily. The tube to lens cell thread was a bit tricky to start straight but other than that there were no difficulties whatsoever. It is now just a matter of waiting for the clouds to part......

Archived