SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First attempt at meteor detection with rtl-sdr

Hi everyone

After attending a presentation at my local astronomy society on radio astronomy a while back I purchased a sdr dongle with the the intension to have a go myself.
Having some time off work at present I decided to finally have a shot at setting it up.

I built a 3 element yagi as described by britastro attached to a "NooElec NESDR SMArt" sdr device via a "LNA4ALL" LNA.
SDR# is setup to route the output via VBCable to Spectrum Lab and is using a combination of the basic S@N config along with a few additions that I am in the process of adding to enable sound recording.
Setup is as follows

radio1.thumb.png.69f96587bb9f5b167ff5010b272c7451.png

This was the initial data from around midnight to midday today.

Screenshotsevent180805234732_pipp.thumb.gif.7f15df740c23f489a3728ad035c0ddb5.gif

I am very please with the results so far and so much so I went out and rebuilt the the antenna with 15mm copper pipe instead of welding rod.
Living very near two large FM masts I am also getting a fair amount of bleed, I have ordered an FM notch filter to try and remove some of this and reduce the noise.

Thanks in advance

Mark

6 hours ago, Wyvern said:

Nice one Mark!

So SID and Jupiter array set ups for the next projects with all this holiday time available?

Les

Ha thank you very much.
I feel at this stage this is going to keep me busy for the time being. However, I am hoping to book some more time off soon so we will wait and see.

Archived