Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mare Nubium's Lunar 100

Nyctimene

Was out unplanned again Saturday morning with the SW Heritage 130 P Flextube from 02.45 to 03.40 CEST. Started with the Apennines and crater Archimedes (L 27). I was able to make out some of it's SE extending rilles. Rima Bradley was more difficult and could be spotted intermittently for some seconds (due to the below-average seeing). The same occurred with the Catena Davy (L 51), only two or three of it's "larger" craters could be seen. The trio of large craters Ptolemaeus, Alphonsus and Arzachel was distinct as always; but the dark lava spots on the floor of Alphonsus (L 47) showed less conspicuous this time. The Straight Wall (L 15) was, as always, a highlight and well lit near the terminator, along with the craters Birt/A and Thebit (I forgot to look at the Rima Birt this time!). Over to Pitatus (L 84); I could just make out the crater's largest rille near to the NW border of the floor. A great surprise to the end was the view of the concentric crater Hesiodus A (L 81). At 150X-183x mags, it's inner ring could be made out as a tack-sharp donut, excactly centered in the outer crater ring, and very contrasty (seeing had improved) - a pleasing view, and a very recommendable target! A short, but productive session on a balmy summer morning.

Attached a picture of Hesiodus and Hesiodus A (bottom - left)

image.png.945244d4a854749727dd9e9d0e0df3c4.png

Thanks for reading

Stephan

Archived