NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Kstars/Indi/Ubuntu - SWZA driver without Synscan App

stash_old

Hi,

Been playing with SWAZGOTO which I use as Grab and Go Wide field - works great with Windows SynScan Pro AP (inc Ascom Synscan Mobile app) or Android Sysnscan Pro(plus Safari)

Does anyone know if there is a driver in Indi that runs on RPI3 Stretch or Ubuntu(desktop)  that enables the mount to be controlled WITHOUT Synscan APP (Windows or Android). I have tried all the combo's but nothing works except for following set up Kstars/EKOS/Indi(on Ubuntu 16.04 Laptop) run as Ethernet/Server address (Synscan App)/port(11882)/TCP.

Indi Serial using same USB/Serial Adapter ,as above, but direct to Kstars/EKOS/Indi laptop fails - seems to connect to USB0 on connection(according to log) but fails protocol hand shake.

The aim is to use a RPI (or something) located at mount controlling the mount and a DSLR (which now seems to work under Ubuntu 16.04  - touch wood) and either Kstars on a Laptop or Android Kstars Lite (if it works) on a phone.

I already know and have used Synscan App Pro (android) plus SkySafari on my phone to control the Mount but i have not found a DSLR (Canon) Android APP that works on my phone - hence Trying Indi (again)

Any info or suggestions would be gratefully  appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LX200 connects but has 2 problems - all Objects are below min elev limits and it wont reset the Slew E Limit (set at 0) and UTC is saying "error setting local date" even though the date and time are correct . 

Only solution i have found - FYI - is to use an old handset update to latest firmware connect an fdi usb/serial adapter to handset and port on handset to mount. thi allows synscan driver to run. Doesn't need an PC or android phone but allows me to use RealVNC to connect to the RPI3(using WiFi) which is connected to DSLR Canon and mount via handset.  Nearly a Grab and GO. Just a pity the handset has to be involved but I cannot see any other way to connect to an old SWAZ GoTo mount with Kstars/Indi. Still not exactly what I want but I can now :

1. Control the mount remotely.

2. Take Wide field images using the DSLR - viewing image ok and good speed with good USB cable(presently 5m lindy cromo)

3. Less cables - only 12v from battery to mount and DC-DC (12v to 5v) for RPI3. plus handset to mount and hanset to RPI. 

I would like the Scheduler more if it worked 80% time - it doesn't and is very flaky IMHO.

Parking the mount is a nightmare compared to Synscan App.

Biggest problem,IMO, is Indi/Kstars has too many parameters and its a case of not seeing the wood for the trees and a steep learning curve.

Update FYI - also tried out remote Indi (indiserver connected to mount and dslr) with Kstars running on a Ubuntu PC - it works very well. CR2 images (20mb avg) are transfered very well over the WiFi. The mount responds just as well as when I used VNC remote and all was running on the RPI3. This gives me the ability to Platesolve without Internet as of course the PC is far faster than the RPI3 OR when used as Grab and GO just connect via Realvnc with Kstars/Indiserver running on the RPI3. Plus the scheduler module seems to work better on the Ubuntu PC than when run on the RPI3 - strange.

Also found out that using the Handset as a relay you dont need to set date/time etc as Kstars/Indi/Synscan software will override any of that for you - happy days. Plus there is a "Relay Only" firmware available from Sky Watcher but for now I will stick with V3.96 firmware which works ? 

One word of warning is that Firefox V61 does not work on my RPI3 - fails to start so I had to revert to V52 AND hold the updates on Firefox!

OK I admit it I am warming to Indi and I do like Kstars/Kos - I was wrong its better than Windows software equiv so long as it is stable - time will tell ?

If Grab and Go performs well and is stable then my Obsys will be "upgraded" - to Kstars/Indi - as I will have done all the hard work testing with Grab and Go and the set up should transfer "as is" so just copy the RPI image for the Obsys(network name /EQMOD changes LOL).

Next test split the RPI3 into 2 and run AS120mm on one and Mount on the other with Kstars local or remote and see what the FPS is like. I know others have decided to go "up market" on the RPI as its not fast enough (FPS) for there type of Astro work.

Fingers crossed ?

Sorry if I'm throwing something that you already know about...  

but on ZWO's site I came across Indigo (http://www.indigo-astronomy.org/index.html) which I'd not heard of. It appears to be a Linux bridge between different types of hardware & Indi\KStars etc. including Ascom and better Canon DSLR support. May be worth a look ??

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Sorry if I'm throwing something that you already know about...  

but on ZWO's site I came across Indigo (http://www.indigo-astronomy.org/index.html) which I'd not heard of. It appears to be a Linux bridge between different types of hardware & Indi\KStars etc. including Ascom and better Canon DSLR support. May be worth a look ??

Thanks I have come across this before but not a lot of in depth info.

The DSLR seems to be working fine now  - touch wood

The ZWO 120mm worked (speed not great) ,on Indi/windows, after I updated the firmware due to 1024 USB blocks - however I have just "bricked" the 120mm as I noticed I had uploaded the 120mc version not the 120mm (even though it still worked !!!) so I tried to upload the correct firmware (worked fine) but now nothing see's it correctly so can't go back to 120mc firmware. I have sent an email to ZWO but I am not holding my breath.   

Managed to get cypress ez-usb software to install a driver so that their driver is installed (change vendor/pid etc) - zwo firmware now says it has found a camera called Bootloader but thats it as it asks for an image file. So I will wait for ZWO tp answer maybe all isn't lost !!!!!

8 hours ago, T-Studio said:

The SkyWatcher Alt - Az driver is a driver that does not require a hand controller.
I am using a wired connection here.

(Will not it be usable wirelessly? Alignment is done with EKOS.
The home position is North Pole. )

Unfortunately , for me , i does not seem to work very well and does not appear to be stable as the handset used as a relay via Syncan. Perhaps I will try it again but at the momen the handset (used as a relay - only command I use on the handset is to Park as it always works Synscan Indi doesn't !). Thanks for your input ?

9 hours ago, T-Studio said:

The SkyWatcher Alt - Az driver is a driver that does not require a hand controller.
I am using a wired connection here.

(Will not it be usable wirelessly? Alignment is done with EKOS.
The home position is North Pole. )

Tried it again - now I remember it connects ok slews ok but it will not park - keeps slewing on AZ axis (alt ok) goes on and on and on. To be fair he Synscan does the same except I can ignore Kstars and use the handset to Park - that works every time. Guess I should flag this on Indi Forum and see is there is a problem which can be solved . 

I can use the same cables on Windows with Synscan app pro and it works including parking at home position so its not a cable problem IMO. ?

15 hours ago, stash_old said:

Yes they "share" the same chipset as you say - Already  tried the  windows route but it could not find any suitable drivers I had. May try QHY drivers - forgot about that thanks.

After using Cypress EZ-USB and its driver(changed VID/PID) I was able to get the camera recognised on Linux  - AS A QHY5-M - and Indi used it but just gave a white screen no matter what EXP I used. Just proves QHY and ZWO use the same USB chip Manufacturer - Cypress - well on the 120mm and qhy5.

3 hours ago, stash_old said:

それをもう一度試してみてください - 今、私はそれがOKのスルーを接続することを覚えていますが、それは駐車しません - AZ軸(alt ok)で旋回し続けます。私はKstarsを無視して、Parkにハンドセットを使うことができることを除いて、Synscanは同じことをします。これは毎回動作します。私はIndi Forumでこれを報告し、解決できる問題があることを確認してください。 

私はWindows上でSynscan app proを使って同じケーブルを使うことができます。ホームポジションに駐車することを含めて、ケーブル問題のIMOではないので動作します。 ?

INDI has three SkyWatcher drivers.

1. SynScan
Driver to connect from the hand controller serial

2. EQMod
Direct cable or driver connected via TCP / IP

3. SkyWatcher Alt-Az

I am using the third driver with a direct cable, but the developer sets the TCP / IP connection option to all drivers.

If you set Wifi's IP address here, it should work (unless there is a bug)

If the driver is properly connected, using the KStars will cause the North Pole to be in the home position.
Display the mount controller from the Ekos screen and release the park.
If the mount moves, press the stop button on the mount controller.
Then synchronize with the stars using KStars.

I am working in this way.

20 hours ago, T-Studio said:

INDI has three SkyWatcher drivers.

1. SynScan
Driver to connect from the hand controller serial

2. EQMod

3. SkyWatcher Alt-Az

I am using the third driver with a direct cable, but the developer sets the TCP / IP connection option to all drivers.

If you set Wifi's IP address here, it should work (unless there is a bug)

If the driver is properly connected, using the KStars will cause the North Pole to be in the home position.
Display the mount controller from the Ekos screen and release the park.
If the mount moves, press the stop button on the mount controller.
Then synchronize with the stars using KStars.

I am working in this way.

Thanks for the reply ?

Yes I realise the 3 ways to connect except EQMOD is not relevant as the Grab and Go is AZ mount (unless eqmod on Indi is not EQ only - On windows it is).

I dont have a problem connecting to options (1) or (3) but do have a problem with the "Park" routine as I say futher back in this thread !

"If the driver is properly connected, using the KStars will cause the North Pole to be in the home position" - it doesn't on my set up and i hoped it would as this is the STD Synscan way for AZ

"Display the mount controller from the Ekos screen and release the park." - do you mean press the "Unpark" button ( pressed via "Mount Controller") -  if yes I cant as "Park" never works,so the "UNPARK" button is not highlighted,  it keeps moving and moving until I pull the power or hit the "STOP" button. 

As I say the only way I can get the Indi system to PARK as per Synscan APP or Handset (NO software) is to use Indi Synscan connected direct thru the serial cable (in effect using the Handset as a relay) and then when I want to park use the Handsets firmware "Park" at home posiion.

Hope that makes sense - sorry if it doesn't.

Found a get around, for me at least, to the PARK UNPARK problems in Indi - Use of "FLAG" - you are able to create a flag at coords (called it HOME). I then use this to "Park" at close of play using "FLAG - centre in Telescope command. As it saves flags it there every time (fingers crossed) ?

• 1 month later...

Update - After a good few trials and errors I finally got a decent AZ or EQ Indi Driver to work. Here's how

1. Install Wine Staging installed Windows Sw Synscan App Pro

2. Load Sw Synscan App Pro and select you method - Serial didn't work (it is Linux and I didn't use UDEV rules - no time) but Wireless UDP did - to either to my home  made ESP wireless board or using RPI Zero(W) or RPI3 running Ser2net converting UDP to serial and talking to a normal FDTI USB adapter. Worked very well.

I was able to drive my old SW AZGOTO no problem and could have driven my AZEQ6 as well. Kstars worked a treat and proved very reliable at controlling he mount.

Now the "Bummer Bit" - try as I might I could not get my Canon 100d DSLR  to take pictures and download them every time. Under 9 secs exposure seemed to worked 95% of the time but anything above would cause a 2nd capture and this meant the image was always over exposed or you got the last image taken. Try as I with the guys at Indilib I couldn't get this to work - even on different machines and different versions of Linux. It seems to me that because GPHOTO2 is reengineerd it does like my Camera - either of them as they are both 100d.

So i have decided to go back to the drawing board as there is little enough clear skies and ,for now,scrap IndiLib. Really the only solution would be for Canon to get off their backsides and make the SDK available for Linux (they do Android and IOS I believe) .

Not all is lost the ASI120mm (USB2) works fine on Indilib as I believe other ZWO ASI camera's do and the whole concept of Indi/Kstars/Ekos is a good one (platesolving (offline or online) was great when the DSLR downloaded an image. But for me I want DSLR and CCD to work so if one doesn't its no good to me.

So some would say "told you so" and they might be partly right but if the guys at Indilib continue to cure the bugs and Canon release Linux SDK it beats M/S Windows and Ascom IMHO.

But if it doesn't work !!! ?

• 3 weeks later...

Update I have now got the Canon 100d to work with Indi/Ekos 100% wireless or wired, remote or local.

As the weather hasn't very good around my way thought i would do some more digging and found a simple solution to my problem.

By turning off Noise Reduction setting on the Canon 100d settings Indi/Ekos now take images of any length(most I have tested 60secs but see no reason to fail) Fit or Naive (CR2) format works

Plus the download time is now very fast ,in native mode (22mb), even on the RPI3 with the Canon connected to the RPI3 and Kstars running on another PC - about 3-6 secs after he shutter closes. Note for his speed I use a TP-link Access point (2.4 or 5mhz or wired) which can work off 12v DC (just 1amp).

So now will be doing some real field testing but fingers crossed LOL ?

Archived